External Publication
Visit Post

Iranian man and Romanian woman charged after trying to enter British nuclear base

Home: Latest & breaking News | GB News [Unofficial] March 21, 2026
Source

An 34-year-old Iranian man has been charged after allegedly attempting to break into a nuclear missile base in Scotland, police have confirmed.

A 31-year-old Romanian woman has also been charged.

The pair were arrested at HM Naval Base Clyde, which is known as Faslane, on Thursday.

The Royal Navy had previously said two people had tried and failed to enter the base.

TRENDING

Stories

Videos

Your Say

A statement from Police Scotland said: "Around 5pm on Thursday, March 19, 2026 we were made aware of two people attempting to enter HM Naval Base Clyde.

"A 34-year-old Iranian man and a 31-year-old Romanian woman have been arrested and charged in connection with the incident.

"They are due to appear at Dumbarton Sheriff Court on Monday, March 23.

"Inquiries are ongoing."

A source had previously told The Times: "Without the right passes to enter, they were both then turned away, it is understood. However, they were then arrested for 'acting suspiciously in the vicinity'."

Faslane is home to four ballistic missile submarines equipped with Trident weapons, which are responsible for upholding the UK’s continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent.

It is the core of the UK's submarine fleet, including the Royal Navy’s seven Astute-class which are capable of launching Tomahawk land-attack cruise missiles, striking targets with high precision hundreds of miles inland.

A peace camp has been based outside the camp, which is a hotbed for anti-war protests, for over four decades.

It comes as two men were charged on suspicion of spying for Iran after allegedly targeting Jews in London.

Alireza Farasati, a 22-year-old Iranian, and Iranian national Nematollah Shahsavani, 40, were arrested and detained on March 6.

They were both charged with engaging in contact that is likely to assist a foreign intelligence service following incidents between July 9, 2025, and August 15, 2025.

Defence Secretary John Healy said the UK was reviewing its terror threat level.

It remains at "substantial" meaning an attack is "likely".

MORE TO FOLLOW...

Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter

Discussion in the ATmosphere

Loading comments...