{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreiboqgahl7p3mj3c7dfrygchqc5wmu72jz6spvvcekcgcfjg3tp44m",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mhic2jqfvnq2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreie3ul2lghmfz3hcir2rhnbsywoq63uivvffc6qbbypu3boce6g6wu"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 68340
  },
  "path": "/health/meningitis-outbreak-juliette-kenny-symptoms-family-vaccine",
  "publishedAt": "2026-03-20T09:35:57.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
  "tags": [
    "Students DENIED meningitis jabs amid outbreak after staff clock off work at 5pm",
    "Daily habit linked to markedly lower risk of early death or needing care in old age",
    "‘Very unusual’ Kent meningitis outbreak ‘likely to go up’ in coming days, warns UKHSA",
    "The GB News Editorial Charter"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\n\nThe family of a teenage girl who died from meningitis has spoken out after her condition deteriorated with devastating speed, just 12 hours after the first signs of illness appeared.\n\nJuliette Kenny, 18, passed away on March 14, having been in perfect health only days earlier.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe year 13 pupil at Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School in Faversham had completed her PE A-level practical assessment merely two days before falling ill.\n\nHer father, Michael Kenny, 46, first noticed something was wrong when his daughter was sick during the early hours of March 13.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nA discolouration subsequently appeared on her cheeks, prompting the family to seek medical attention at a local emergency drop-in centre.\n\nDespite receiving antibiotics and being transferred to A&E by ambulance, the disease proved fatal before the day was out.\n\nMr Kenny described his daughter as possessing \"beautifully positive energy\" and said she \"spread fun, love and happiness to those around her\".\n\n\"Juliette fought bravely for hours, but despite the fantastic NHS hospital staff fighting alongside her, meningitis took her from us less than 12 hours later,\" he said.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\"We were with her at the end, and the last sounds that she heard were the voices of those who loved her telling her how very much loved and cherished she is.\"\n\nThe family, including mother Rebecca, 49, and older sister Florence, 20, have spoken of their profound grief.\n\n\"The devastation of her loss to us, her family and friends is immeasurable,\" Mr Kenny stated.\n\nHer grandmother, Linda Kenny, told reporters she could barely speak without breaking down in tears, adding that the entire family had been placed on antibiotics following Juliette's death.\n\nThe Kenny family has now joined forces with the Meningitis Research Foundation to demand urgent government intervention on vaccine accessibility.\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n##\n\n\n  * Students DENIED meningitis jabs amid outbreak after staff clock off work at 5pm\n  * Daily habit linked to markedly lower risk of early death or needing care in old age\n  * ‘Very unusual’ Kent meningitis outbreak ‘likely to go up’ in coming days, warns UKHSA\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nMr Kenny stressed that preventable tragedies must end: \"No family should experience this pain and tragedy. This can be avoided. There are young people currently battling this, and young people still at risk.\"\n\nHe added: \"Juliette's impact on this world must be a lasting change. Now is the time to ensure families are safe from the impact of meningitis B.\"\n\nThe family had been unaware that the menB vaccination is not routinely offered on the NHS for teenagers and young adults, requiring private payment instead.\n\nThe jab was introduced for infants in 2015, leaving most young people born before that date unprotected unless their families paid for private immunisation.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nVinny Smith, chief executive of the Meningitis Research Foundation, criticised the 2015 decision that rejected extending NHS coverage to older age groups on cost-effectiveness grounds.\n\n\"Our concern, then and now, is that this has not fully reflected the impact of menB or the full value protection from what a vaccine brings,\" he said.\n\nMr Smith argued the assessment failed to account for the disease's severity, lifelong disabilities, and the trauma inflicted upon bereaved families.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\"We believe the UK Government can decide now to save lives and limit the lifelong disabilities caused by meningitis, protecting people for generations to come,\" he added.\n\nMeanwhile, Khali Goodwin, whose daughter Keeleigh is recovering from meningitis contracted during the Kent outbreak, told GB News she was desperately seeking private vaccination for her other child.\n\n\"It's a lot of money, but if we have to go without for a while, then we'll just have to go without,\" she said.\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
  "title": "Family of teen killed by meningitis say she was ‘gone in 12 hours’ as they reveal first symptoms and urge wider vaccine access"
}