{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreidtebaweb4b7heh3chm3jkj4z4z3oawftgae4pppexotluuhbosci",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mhi3d6jardd2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreic7gvpitu5dcvmfozrjcnmanqxlynxreynenw2qbifywek7ixy7dq"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 59110
  },
  "path": "/news/world/benjamin-netanyahu-ground-invasion-israel-iran-us",
  "publishedAt": "2026-03-20T07:45:31.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
  "tags": [
    "Prolonged Iran war could trigger recession as Qatar gas plant strikes branded 'serious escalation'",
    "Nato scrambles emergency response after Russian fighter jet invades alliance's airspace",
    "Donald Trump blasts Israel for 'lashing out' with Iran oilfield attack - then threatens to do it himself",
    "The GB News Editorial Charter"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\n\nBenjamin Netanyahu said a ground invasion of Iran may be required to topple the Islamic regime.\n\nThe Israeli prime minister said last night the regime is at its “weakest point” after four weeks of Operation Epic Fury.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nMr Netanyahu told reporters that a “ground component” to the US-Israeli offensive would be necessary to dismantle the Islamic Republic.\n\nPresident Trump is said to be considering backing the operation with thousands of troops.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nOne option would be deploying troops to Iran’s Kharg Island, which is responsible for 90 per cent of Iran’s oil exports.\n\nSending troops to secure Iran’s stocks of highly enriched uranium is another option on the cards, amid US-Israeli fears the supply could eventually be used to build a bomb.\n\nDespite Mr Netanyahu’s comments, the US President publicly dismissed the idea of a ground invasion.\n\nHe told reporters on Thursday: “I’m not putting troops anywhere. If I were, I certainly wouldn’t tell you. But I’m not putting troops.”\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe air offensive has so far yielded fruitful rewards for the US and Israel, including the death of Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.\n\nIran has since named Mojtaba Khamenei as his successor, who narrowly escaped death and has not been seen in public since.\n\nBritain has so far resisted demands to involve itself with the conflict, but has pledged to “step up” defensive support for Gulf states.\n\nIran attacked energy sites across the region in a “serious escalation” of the war, Defence Secretary John Healey said.\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n  * Prolonged Iran war could trigger recession as Qatar gas plant strikes branded 'serious escalation'\n  * Nato scrambles emergency response after Russian fighter jet invades alliance's airspace\n  * Donald Trump blasts Israel for 'lashing out' with Iran oilfield attack - then threatens to do it himself\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nMr Healey said Tehran’s attacks earlier this week threatened to further destabilise the region as he reiterated the Government’s call for de-escalation.\n\nIran hit multiple energy sites across the Gulf in response to an Israeli strike on its main natural gas field.\n\nIran targeted a Saudi oil refinery, Qatari gas facilities and two more refineries in Kuwait.\n\nMr Healey said of Iran’s attacks: “They’re a serious escalation. They further destabilise the region and we will step up the defensive support that we can offer to those Gulf states.”\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nBritish forces are already deployed in the Middle East, with RAF jets flying defensive sorties against Iranian drones across the Gulf.\n\nBritish air defence systems are also protecting critical infrastructure in Saudi Arabia.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
  "title": "Benjamin Netanyahu suggests need for ground invasion to topple regime as Iran war escalates"
}