External Publication
Visit Post

Ricky Gervais makes feelings clear about hosting next Oscars as he issues expletive-laden response to fans

Home: Latest & breaking News | GB News [Unofficial] March 17, 2026
Source

Ricky Gervais has unequivocally made clear he won't be hosting the Oscars or other awards ceremonies anytime soon.

The comedian, who hosted the Golden Globes from 2010 to 2020, continues to receive pleas from fans to take to the stage again to present the prestigious award events.

However, the 64-year-old has responded to such requests, making clear he has no desire to host the Oscars following Sunday's glitzy ceremony.

The Hollywood event saw Conan O'Brien presenting for the second year in a row, with Sinners actor Michael B Jordan and Hamnet star Jessie Buckley claiming Best Actor and Actress, respectively.

Action thriller One Battle After Another picked up the most awards, including Best Picture and Best Director.

Despite Mr O'Brien keeping viewers entertained with jokes about Timothee Chalamet's recent controversial comments and jabs about the Epstein Files, some social media users took the opportunity to try to persuade Mr Gervais to consider the job.

One wrote on X: "Repost if you wish @rickygervais was hosting the #Oscars tonight," along with a 10-minute clip of his infamous Golden Globes monologue from six years ago.

The post was shared 2,000 times, but while the comedian re-posted the tweet himself, he wrote alongside it: "F*** that!" next to a laughing emoji.

The After Life star is known outside of his career for speaking out against cancel culture and has faced some backlash for comments about the transgender community and several other topics.

At this year's Golden Globes, comedian Wanda Sykes took aim at Mr Gervais, who was absent from the awards.

Accepting his award for best stand-up comedy on TV on his behalf, she stated: "I love you for not being here.

"If you win, I get to accept the award on your behalf, and you’re going to thank God and the trans community."

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS

  • BBC leaves fans divided with 'unexpected' Richard Osman's House of Games replacement: 'Very odd!'
  • Brooklyn Beckham enjoys Elton John's Oscars party hours after 'snubbing' Victoria on Mother's Day
  • Aljaz Skorjanec breaks silence amid Strictly 'axes' as dancer insists 'We support their decisions'

The comic hit back with a speech that he told fans he would have said had he been asked back to the awards.

In the pretend speech, he declared: "What a year it’s been. Hundreds of entertainers jumped at the chance to go to the Vatican to meet the Pope.

"Many from Hollywood. Obviously, they weren't content with only being part of the second biggest p***o ring in the world…"

He also added: "Justin Timberlake was convicted of [drunk driving]. If he’d have gone to jail, he'd have heard the words 'Sexy Back' a lot more often."

This isn't the first time Mr Gervais has taken himself out of the running to host.

Speaking in 2022 about why he'd never oversee the Oscars, he explained: "They'd never let me do what I wanted. That’s why the [Golden] Globes got me.

"They said I can write my own jokes and say what I want, no rehearsals. The Oscars would never. And if the Oscars said that, then I'd do it, but that would never happen. I'd be cancelled halfway through."

Speaking just last week, Mr Gervais admitted he hopes to avoid television appearances altogether at the moment.

**Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter **

Discussion in the ATmosphere

Loading comments...