{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreift3nau5mj5bbpxo3xbwfrdcozvatnoat65a4q6gzqw7vtbxk2yz4",
"uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mh56jj5tmap2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreifacpe2ddffqnsqiwakcljfwqchj6ic25lyehqa2wbglrfyop365e"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 101135
},
"path": "/politics/iran-keir-starmer-warships-middle-east-donald-trump",
"publishedAt": "2026-03-15T22:36:52.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"One of Britain's largest chemical plants could close as Iran war puts 'another nail in the coffin'",
"Donald Trump warns US may carry out more strikes on Iran’s Kharg Island ‘just for fun’",
"Thousands of pro-regime protesters gather in London for 'hate rally' - Police make arrests",
"was reportedly at odds with Downing Street",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\nSir Keir Starmer has refused to commit warships to Iran - despite Donald Trump pleading for support in the Middle East.\n\nThe Prime Minister has refused to send British naval power to the Middle East after President Trump urged allies to help secure the vital Strait of Hormuz.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nAnd with tensions - and oil prices - still rising, the Prime Minister will tomorrow pledge support for families struggling with soaring energy bills during a Downing Street press conference.\n\nThe PM will reveal Labour's “first priority” will be helping people through the crisis.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHe will add that de-escalation of the war is the quickest way to end the cost of living crisis.\n\nHis remarks come as tensions grow in the key strait - through which a significant share of the world’s oil supply travels.\n\nThe disruption has pushed global energy prices higher and raised fears among the Government of further economic pressure on households.\n\nBritain is currently refusing to send warships to help reopen the strait despite pressure from the United States, the Telegraph reports.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nMr Trump urged several countries affected by the strait's closure, including the UK and France, to send warships to the region in a post on Truth Social on Saturday.\n\nFrance outright refused the request on Sunday, and its armed forces minister said the country would maintain its \"defensive and protective\" position.\n\nBritain, meanwhile, has considered sending mine-hunting drones, after the United States shared video of Iranian mine hunting ships being destroyed in the waterway.\n\nThe minesweeping ships are autonomously controlled to and operate up at 10 times the pace of a traditional minesweeping ship.\n\n### LATEST ON IRAN:\n\n\n\n\n * One of Britain's largest chemical plants could close as Iran war puts 'another nail in the coffin'\n * Donald Trump warns US may carry out more strikes on Iran’s Kharg Island ‘just for fun’\n * Thousands of pro-regime protesters gather in London for 'hate rally' - Police make arrests\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nDeveloped jointly with France, the drones may have their first deployment date brought forward to help in the Gulf.\n\nEd Miliband has suggested Britain's minesweeping ships were being considered for deployment.\n\nThe Energy Secretary said \"any options that can help to get the strait\" reopened are being looked at by the Government.\n\nSir Keir spoke with the American president on Sunday, the first time since Mr Trump's call for aid.\n\nBritain so far has only sent the HMS Dragon, which will be stationed in the Mediterranean to assist with Cyprus's air defence.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nAir Chief Marshal Sir Richard Knighton, the Chief of Defence Staff, was reportedly at odds with Downing Street in regards to British defence mobilisation.\n\nHe claimed aircraft carrier HMS Prince of Wales did not need to be sent to the region, with sovereign base RAF Akrotiri serving as the equivalent.\n\n\"We have an aircraft carrier – it's called Cyprus,\" he is reported to have said in The Spectator.\n\nDowning Street denied claims of a rift between the Prime Minister and his Chief of Defence Staff.\n\nThe Prime Minister's official spokesman said any suggestions of a \"fracture in relations\" were \"ridiculous\", and lauded Sir Richard's military service.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter **",
"title": "Keir Starmer risks fresh clash with Donald Trump after ignoring President's Iran plea"
}