{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreia4cgku6ux6mbakynb33sfjntox47revfbdde5fvovcmbhpxyxa5u",
"uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mglylkzursy2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreibyip7bzhbaiohquy7rrivd62zgvra2qdtzqtimx27yp2bx7hnfia"
},
"mimeType": "image/png",
"size": 357778
},
"path": "/news/world/bali-police-tourist-tortured-drugged-decapitated-holiday-hotspot",
"publishedAt": "2026-03-09T01:59:04.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"Terror probe launched after 'Isis fanatics' hurl bomb at New York City Mayor's home",
"Ian Huntley’s daughter calls for Soham murderer's ashes to be 'flushed down toilet'",
"Woman jailed for smuggling machine guns and £500,000 worth of heroin into Britain",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\n\nIndonesian authorities have confirmed the identity of a tourist who was tortured, drugged and decapitated on the island of Bali after a severed head and body parts washed up.\n\nDNA analysis revealed the dismembered remains recovered belong to Igor Komarov, a 28-year-old Ukrainian national who was snatched from the Indonesian island last month.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe man was kidnapped on February 15 in Jimbaran, a coastal area frequented by tourists from Russia and Ukraine.\n\nHis captors executed the kidnapping with precision, using multiple vehicles in what investigators have described as a military-style assault.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\nFollowing his abduction, Mr Komarov was transported to an upmarket property on Bali's mid-western coastline.\n\nThere, he endured torture, was force-fed drugs, and suffered severe physical harm during his ordeal.\n\nHis kidnappers compelled him to record a video demanding $10million (£7.5million) from his father, who Ukrainian reports identify as a business tycoon with alleged connections to organised crime in the country.\n\nPhysical evidence was seen on the recovered body parts, including chest tattoos and bruising around both eyes.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHowever, the severe deterioration of the remains made it impossible to confirm his identity through visuals alone.\n\nBone samples were dispatched to Indonesia's national forensic facility in Jakarta for examination.\n\n\"DNA profile from the body parts we submitted was compared with reference samples from the victim's parents. The results showed a match,\" said Senior Commissioner Ariasandy, the Bali regional police spokesman.\n\nDr Nola Margaret Gunawan, the forensic pathologist conducting the post-mortem examination at Ngurah General Hospital in Bali, indicated the DNA match carried a 99.9 per cent probability of accuracy.\n\n### CRIME - READ THE LATEST:\n\n\n\n\n * Terror probe launched after 'Isis fanatics' hurl bomb at New York City Mayor's home\n * Ian Huntley’s daughter calls for Soham murderer's ashes to be 'flushed down toilet'\n * Woman jailed for smuggling machine guns and £500,000 worth of heroin into Britain\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\"I double checked with the forensic laboratory in Jakarta because I was surprised to see the news,\" Dr Gunawan explained.\n\n\nThe results arrived far sooner than anticipated, as she had previously estimated a month-long wait.\n\n\"They said it was [fast tracked] due to the huge attention to the case, so the process was expedited. Was there a political motive? I can't answer that.\n\n\"From my point of view as a pathologist, there isn't anything special about this case.\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nAuthorities in Bali have named seven individuals as suspects in the gruesome murder.\n\nOne suspect, a foreign citizen known only by the initials CH, was apprehended on Lombok, the neighbouring island to Bali.\n\nThis individual had hired one of the vehicles deployed during the abduction and had entered Indonesia using fraudulent travel documents.\n\nCH allegedly told investigators that he was oblivious to the criminal purpose of the vehicle, claiming he had merely been paid $500 (£375) to arrange the rental.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nOf the remaining six suspects, four are believed to have fled the country.\n\nThe other two are thought to remain concealed somewhere in Bali or elsewhere within Indonesia.\n\nAll six fugitives now appear on Indonesia's wanted list and have been made subject to an Interpol Red Notice, which alerts law enforcement worldwide to assist in their capture.\n\nAn insider familiar with the investigation revealed that an eighth suspect, an Indonesian citizen, has been detained for providing CH with the counterfeit passport.\n\n\"You should dig deeper to find something bigger behind the case. For me, this case is the result of weak and poor border control in Indonesia,\" the source told News.com.au.\n\nMr Komarov had been holidaying in Bali alongside his girlfriend, Yea Mishalova, an Instagram personality with approximately 200,000 followers.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter**\n",
"title": "Police confirm identity of tourist 'tortured, drugged and decapitated' after severed head and body parts wash up at Bali holiday hotspot"
}