{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreibfugtm6zwkh7cxlihrtdr74w7tjfbykqm2xsmbaf62qwem4u7fqu",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mghz6s5l7f32"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreiabqjjgcbqcffrawwfbkfyfownzgcsia57ihhse266i5klsq3x7le"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 83804
  },
  "path": "/royal/princess-beatrice-david-taylor-chinese-spy",
  "publishedAt": "2026-03-07T13:54:42.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
  "tags": [
    "Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor allowed to keep historic title after review",
    "Prince Harry sends surprise message to Paralympian ahead of Winter Games",
    "Princess Michael of Kent suffers stroke as royal is left 'bedridden'",
    "The GB News Editorial Charter"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\n\nPrincess Beatrice was photographed during a trip in 2016 with a UK man who was recently arrested on suspicion of spying for China, it has been revealed.\n\nDavid Taylor who is the husband of Labour MP Joani Reid, was arrested on Wednesday morning.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nAfter her husband’s arrest, Ms Reid said \"I have never seen anything to make me suspect my husband has broken any law\" and reiterated that she was not herself the subject of any allegations.\n\nMr Taylor has not yet responded to the allegations.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe nine-day journey in 2016 saw Mr Taylor and the princess among a group of seven individuals who traversed Asia by car.\n\nThere is no suggestion whatsoever Beatrice had any knowledge of Mr Taylor's alleged activities.\n\n\nMs Reid represents East Kilbride and Strathaven, having won her seat in 2024, and serves on the Home Affairs Committee.\n\nThe charitable expedition was arranged by the Franks Family Foundation, a philanthropic organisation where Beatrice serves as patron.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nSimon Franks, the foundation's sole funder, confirmed Mr Taylor's participation to The i Paper.\n\n\"Princess Beatrice has worked tirelessly for the foundation for over a decade, supporting our education and public health projects in Laos, Cambodia and Nepal, to which she has travelled on many occasions for the foundation,\" Mr Franks stated.\n\nHe explained Mr Taylor had served as a policy adviser for the foundation during that particular journey.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\"On one of those trips, Princess Beatrice accompanied a team of doctors across Nepal, India and Bhutan.\"\n\nDavid Taylor, who was a policy adviser for the foundation, was also on that trip,\" he said.Mr Franks was adamant that Beatrice \"did not know him prior and has not seen him since.\"\n\nHe added: \"During his time as a policy adviser to the foundation, I found David to be a kind, charitable and proud Briton. I am astonished by the arrest.\"\n\nMr Taylor was not the sole individual detained in connection with the investigation.\n\n### LATEST ROYAL NEWS\n\n\n\n\n  * Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor allowed to keep historic title after review\n  * Prince Harry sends surprise message to Paralympian ahead of Winter Games\n  * Princess Michael of Kent suffers stroke as royal is left 'bedridden'\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTwo other men were arrested under the National Security Act on the same day: named by the BBC as Steve Jones, aged 68, a former special adviser to the Welsh government, and Matthew Aplin, 43, who previously worked as a Labour press officer.\n\nNeither men have commented on the arrest and GB News have been unable to get in contact with them.\n\nMr Jones had earlier served as an adviser to Hilary Armstrong, now Baroness Armstrong, when she held the position of chief whip under Tony Blair's government.\n\nHe subsequently advised the Welsh Cabinet from 2009 until 2014.\n\nMr Aplin is an ex-member of Reform.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nReform UK initially denied Mr Aplin held membership when questioned on Wednesday.\n\nHowever, the party's Welsh leader Dan Thomas subsequently confirmed to ITV Wales Mr Aplin had previously been a member, albeit not recently.\n\nAll three suspects were released on bail on Thursday.\n\nMr Taylor currently serves as head of programmes at Asia House, a think-tank dedicated to fostering engagement between Asia and Europe.\n\nIn this capacity, he managed the secretariat for Parliament's All-Party Parliamentary Group on Central Asia, which promotes relations between Britain and Central Asian nations.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe APPG announced on Wednesday that it had suspended its secretariat arrangements.\n\nPolice conducted searches at the arrest locations and three additional addresses in London, East Kilbride and Cardiff.\n\nWelsh journalist Martin Shipton confirmed officers also searched his Cardiff home, although he provided a voluntary statement and was not arrested.\n\nJames Robinson, a former aide to ex-Labour deputy leader Tom Watson, confirmed his property was also searched as part of the investigation.\n\nHe stated: \"I would like to make it absolutely clear that I have neither been detained, arrested nor questioned in connection with this, or any other, matter.\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nMs Reid announced she would temporarily and voluntarily step back from the Labour Party whilst an internal inquiry proceeds.\n\n\"I want to reiterate something very important: I am not under investigation by the police and no accusations have been made against me,\" she declared.\n\nThe MP emphasised she had never visited China or spoken on China-related matters in the Commons, nor posed any questions concerning Chinese affairs.\n\n\"I have never seen anything to make me suspect my husband has broken any law,\" Ms Reid added.\n\nSecurity Minister Dan Jarvis confirmed the arrests, stating that if Chinese interference in UK sovereign affairs were proven then severe consequences would be imposed.\n\nOn Mr Taylor, a Labour Party spokesman said: \"These are incredibly serious allegations. We cannot comment further while the police investigation is ongoing.\"\n\nGB News contacted Camlas, a company who worked with Mr Aplin and Mr Jones, but they were unable to provide further information.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter**",
  "title": "Princess Beatrice photographed with an alleged Chinese spy on Asia tour"
}