{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreih3wpmhwt6d5ip3ox364qecdvvrtyz2uwaamqwhheftrap2lii2cy",
"uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mfzdppn3f6u2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreifpcy3hjs2p6j4aer4kxux3tozduqjhp4o4y6v5gbvuqs3szzhhde"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 78218
},
"path": "/sport/football/manchester-united-pro-immigration-banner-jim-ratcliffes",
"publishedAt": "2026-03-01T17:49:53.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"Benjamin Sesko looks like the real deal as Man Utd star fires club to vital Crystal Palace win",
"Tottenham fans demand Igor Tudor sacking straight after Fulham defeat amid relegation concerns",
"Tottenham's continued humiliation proves one thing as Spurs sit dangerously close to relegation",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\nManchester United supporters at Old Trafford unveiled a banner bearing the message \"MUFC proudly colonised by immigrants\" during Sunday's Premier League fixture against Crystal Palace.\n\nThe message directly challenges remarks made by the club's minority owner, Sir Jim Ratcliffe.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe demonstration came in response to Ratcliffe's Sky News interview last month, during which he said that the UK had been \"colonised by immigrants\" who were \"costing too much money\".\n\nThe banner was raised as players returned to the pitch for the second half.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nMany fans expressed their displeasure at comments from an owner whose popularity has declined since acquiring his stake in late 2023.\n\nThe banner featured images of several players who have represented the club from overseas.\n\nCurrent captain Bruno Fernandes appeared alongside club legend Eric Cantona, while former player and manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was also depicted.\n\nSouth Korean midfielder Park Ji-sung and French defender Patrice Evra, both key figures during the Sir Alex Ferguson era, were included in the display.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nPresent squad members Amad Diallo, the Ivorian winger, and Brazilian midfielder Casemiro completed the selection of players showcased on the banner, emphasising the significant contributions made by foreign-born talent throughout the club's history.\n\nRatcliffe's remarks drew condemnation from senior political figures, with Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham among those criticising the businessman.\n\nIn the aftermath, Ratcliffe released a statement expressing regret if his words had \"offended some people\".\n\nManchester United has also released its own statement highlighting the inclusivity initiatives it participates in.\n\n### LATEST SPORT NEWS\n\n\n\n\n * Benjamin Sesko looks like the real deal as Man Utd star fires club to vital Crystal Palace win\n * Tottenham fans demand Igor Tudor sacking straight after Fulham defeat amid relegation concerns\n * Tottenham's continued humiliation proves one thing as Spurs sit dangerously close to relegation\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe Football Association subsequently issued a reminder to the minority owner regarding his obligations when speaking publicly, though the governing body opted not to impose any formal punishment.\n\nThis decision attracted criticism from Kick It Out, the anti-discrimination organisation, which expressed dissatisfaction with the FA's choice not to pursue further sanctions against Ratcliffe.\n\nThe statement said: \"Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s comments are disgraceful and deeply divisive at a time when football does so much to bring communities together.\n\n\"In addition to the inaccurate figures mentioned, it’s worth reminding him that Manchester United has a diverse fan base and plays in a city whose cultural history has been enriched by immigrants. This type of language and leadership has no place in English football and we believe most fans will feel the same.\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe controversy began when Jim Ratcliffe told Sky News: \"You can’t have an economy with nine million people on benefits and huge levels of immigrants coming in. I mean, the UK is being colonised. It’s costing too much money. The UK has been colonised by immigrants.”\n\nManchester United boss Michael Carrick has broken his silence on the investigation, suggesting that everybody associated with the club has a \"responsibility\" to be respectful.\n\nHe said: \"Sir Jim made his statement and the club made a statement on the back of it. It is not my place to add to that. Enough has ben said in that regard. I have been around this club for many years, we make a huge impact globally and we are responsible for that. Throughout the years, as a player and member of staff as a supporter, we are really proud of the environment and culture we’ve got at the club.\n\n\"Equality and diversity and respect for each other is something we look to carry through every day. I have travelled the world and know what this club means to a lot of people. I am aware of the responsibility we have.”\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter**",
"title": "Man Utd fans display pro-immigration banner after Sir Jim Ratcliffe's 'UK colonised by immigrants' comments"
}