{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreifhho2ob5eazu6iqum6b6bib4wifbskkvfguifpzin34qwbosszyi",
"uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mfvrprgjtq42"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreidx77ck7qfa3lvjmv4igduibakyifuzmyeefuyfwxmtbcgytgjmky"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 34300
},
"path": "/news/world/iran-news-latest-us-strikes-israel-iran-tehran-live-updates",
"publishedAt": "2026-02-28T07:02:18.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"READ THE FULL GB NEWS REPORT HERE",
"READ THE FULL STORY ON DONALD TRUMP'S OPTIONS HERE",
"READ THE FULL BREAKING NEWS STORY HERE",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\nThe US has joined in with this morning's Israeli strikes on Iran, President Donald Trump has confirmed.\n\nIn an eight-minute address posted to Truth Social, he said that the US military has begun “major combat operations” in Iran.\n\n“Our objective is to the defend the American people by eliminating imminent threats from the Iranian regime, a vicious group of very hard, terrible people. Its menacing activities directly endanger the United States, our troops, our bases overseas and our allies throughout the world,\" the US leader said.\n\nIn the speech, he called ranian people to “take over your government” once the military action is completed.\n\n“This will be probably your only chance for generations,” President Trump said.\n\nThe attacks on Saturday morning - the first day of the week in Iran - have rocked its capital Tehran, with explosions heard in its east and west.\n\nA \"special and permanent state of emergency\" had been declared across Israel, Defence Minister Israel Katz confirmed in a statement on Saturday morning.\n\nBut just minutes later, the New York Times reported that the US had joined in with the attack.\n\nDozens of American strikes are being carried out by warplanes from bases around the Middle East and from \"one or more\" aircraft carriers, a US official said.\n\nThe operation was planned for months and the launch date was decided weeks ago, an Israeli official added.\n\nThe strikes come after months and months of skyrocketing tensions in the Middle East - and appear to show that a breakthrough on US-Iran nuclear talks has not been forthcoming.\n\n**_FOLLOW BELOW FOR LIVE UPDATES THROUGHOUT THE DAY..._**\n\n### WATCH IN FULL: President Trump confirms US strikes on Iran\n\n\n\n\n### ‘We may have casulties,’ President Trump warns\n\n\n\n\nPresident Trump has warned that “we may have casualties” as a result of its ongoing military operations against Iran.\n\nGeneral Dan Caine, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, had previously warned the US leader that American troops could be killed or injured in a war with Iran.\n\n### President Trump calls on Iranians to ‘take over your government’ amid strikes\n\n\n\n\nPresident Trump has called on the Iranian people to “take over your government” once the military action is completed.\n\n“This will be probably your only chance for generations,” he said.\n\n“For many years, you have asked for America’s help, but you never got it. No president was willing to do what I am willing to do tonight.\n\n“Now you have a president who is giving you what you want, so let’s see how you respond.”\n\n### Russia halts peace talks with Ukraine\n\n\n\n\nRussian officials have halted peace talks with Ukraine.\n\nThey see little reason to continue the US-led peace talks with Ukraine unless Kyiv shows signs it is prepared forfeit territory as part of a deal, Bloomberg has reported this morning.\n\nTalks scheduled next week between the two warring nations will be critical if the sides can come to some sort of peace agreement.\n\n### Iran 'rejected every opportunity' to make deal, Donald Trump\n\n\n\n\nPresident Trump has said Iran has \"rejected every opportunity to renounce their nuclear ambitions\" and that \"we sought repeatedly to make a deal\".\n\n\"We cannot take it anymore.\"\n\n### Donald Trump declares intent to 'raze' Iran's nuclear industry and 'annihilate' their navy\n\n\n\n\nPresident Trump has pledged to \"destroy\" Iran's missiles and \"raze their missile industry to the ground\".\n\n\"We're going to annihilate their navy,\" he promised.\n\n### Donald Trump: 'We will ensure that Iran does not obtain a nuclear weapon'\n\n\n\n\nPresident Trump has declared that “we will ensure that Iran does not obtain a nuclear weapon” in his address concerning US strikes on the Islamic Republic.\n\n### President Trump confirms 'major combat operations' in Iran\n\n\n\n\nPresident Trump has confirmed the US military has begun “major combat operations” in Iran.\n\n\"Our objective is to defend the American people by eliminating imminent threats from the Iranian regime.\"\n\nHe posted an eight-minute-long address on Truth Social detailing the operations.\n\n### Iran and its proxy terror groups expected to launch retaliation campaign\n\n\n\n\nIran is expected to retaliate swiftly against any American or Israeli attack, US officials said before today's strikes.\n\nThe Islamic Republic backs proxy terror groups like Hamas and Hezbollah across the region, which could help it launch missile strikes on American bases and embassies.\n\nThe reason for the huge US military build-up was, in part, to protect American bases from any Iranian counterattack.\n\n### US targets in Iran revealed - Islamic Republic's thousands of missiles in the firing line as Americans pummel military sites\n\n\n\n\nThe focus of this morning's American strikes is Iran's military apparatus, a US official has said.\n\nAs well as its nuclear facilities, which were blitzed by B-2 bombers last summer, Iran is believed to have more than 2,000 missiles, scattered at launch sites across the country.\n\n### As attacks on Iran begin... GB News examines potential for new large-scale migration catastrophe if war breaks out\n\n\n\n\nJust hours before this morning's attack, GB News investigated the possibility of another large-scale migrant catastrophe if US-Iran nuclear talks fail to reach a diplomatic breakthrough.\n\nExperts revealed the chilling possibility of a worsened migrant crisis if some of Iran's 90-million-strong population is displaced.\n\nIf just 10 per cent of Iran's population were forced from their homes, it could rival some of the largest refugee movements this century.\n\nCritics said the impact of war could be devastating: not only for Iran and the Middle East, but also for Europe and the UK.\n\nAlex Nowrasteh, senior vice-president at the Cato Institute, said how in Syria, \"the chaotic repercussions of such a massive refugee population disrupted the Middle East and Europe\"...\n\n**READ THE FULL GB NEWS REPORT HERE**\n\n### 'Dozens of American strikes' now underway as mass military buildup activated\n\n\n\n\nDozens of American strikes are being carried out by warplanes from bases around the Middle East - and from \"one or more\" aircraft carriers, a US official said.\n\nThe US had moved legions of warplanes, personnel, ships and two aircraft carriers into the region just weeks ago - which now appears to be paying off.\n\nUS officials are now saying they expect this attack to be far more extensive than the strikes last June against Iranian nuclear facilities.\n\n### US strikes come after Donald Trump left 'not happy' with Iranians\n\n\n\n\nSaturday's strikes are said to have come after Donald Trump grew frustrated with negotiations over Iran’s nuclear programme.\n\nHis two envoys, Steve Witkoff and Mr Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner, met with Iranian officials in Geneva on Thursday - but yesterday, the President revealed he was \"not happy\" with the talks.\n\nOn Friday morning, Mr Trump said he had not made a decision about whether to launch military action - and while he would \"love not to use force\", \"sometimes you have to\".\n\n### Ayatollah is EVACUATED from Tehran after 'strike options' presented to Donald Trump\n\n\n\n\nIran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, is not in Tehran and has been transferred to a secure location, an official told Reuters.\n\nThe Ayatollah's evacuation comes after it was revealed that killing him was an \"option\" presented to the US President just days ago by the Pentagon.\n\nClose allies of Donald Trump revealed the Pentagon had presented him with a list of ideas.\n\n\"They have something for every scenario,\" one adviser told Axios just days ago.\n\n\"One scenario takes out the Ayatollah and his son and the mullahs (the Shiite clergy in the Islamic Republic),\" they said.\n\nSupreme Leader Ali Khamenei's son Mojtaba is seen as a potential successor to lead the Western adversary.\n\nThe insider continued: \"What the President chooses, no one knows. I don't think he knows.\"\n\n**READ THE FULL STORY ON DONALD TRUMP'S OPTIONS HERE**\n\n### Explosions now ring out across Iran after 'coordinated' US-Israeli campaign\n\n\n\n\nExplosions have now been heard In Isfahan, Qom, Karaj And Kermanshah, all across Iran, as US and Israeli strikes keep pounding the Islamic Republic.\n\nIranian media is now reporting that phone lines have been cut in parts of eastern and western Tehran - while internet connectivity has weakened in some areas.\n\nIt comes after an Israeli official confirmed the strikes were coordinated with the Americans months in advance.\n\nThe operation was planned for months and the launch date was decided weeks ago, the official added.\n\n### Israel readies for retaliation as flights suspended and air raid sirens on alert\n\n\n\n\nThe Israeli Government has suspended civilian flights to and from the country after its attack on Iran, the Israeli airports authority has confirmed.\n\nAir raid sirens are now sounding across Israel, warning locals of a possible retaliatory attack, not unlike those seen last summer and in autumn 2024.\n\n### BREAKING: Explosions rock Tehran after IDF strike as Middle East conflict reignites\n\n\n\n\nJust minutes ago, Israel launched what it has described as a \"pre-emptive attack\" on Iran as explosions rock Tehran.\n\nA \"special and permanent state of emergency\" has been declared across Israel, Defence Minister Israel Katz confirmed in a statement on Saturday morning.\n\nAccording to local media reports, three explosions have been heard across Tehran.\n\n**READ THE FULL BREAKING NEWS STORY HERE**\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter **",
"title": "Iran LIVE: Donald Trump vows to ANNIHILATE Iranian military as he confirms massive American operation"
}