{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreigoyayemnjiy7kboixdyhc4ntlamz4vj5ajhwul7a3pr3x6i3ux34",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mfuwvd2pef52"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreih6nk4esgrdqrtqzkr5iqegl5xnuvrii5w7obiv55yjficvm3cvke"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 68673
  },
  "path": "/news/world/chagos-islands-surrender-mauritius-maldives-america",
  "publishedAt": "2026-02-27T23:20:59.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
  "tags": [
    "Europe braces for ANOTHER migrant crisis with millions prepared to flee Middle East amid US-Iran war",
    "Britain withdraws embassy staff from Iran as fears of US attack grow",
    "Donald Trump REFUSES to back Chagos deal unless Keir Starmer lets him attack Iran from UK-US base",
    "Chagossians welcomed a judge’s decision",
    "The GB News Editorial Charter"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\n\nThe Chagos Islands surrender in chaos as Mauritius has scrapped their relations with the Maldives.\n\nThe Mauritian Government has decided to suspend all diplomatic relations with the Maldives because of its formal objection to the Chagos deal.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nFirst Minister of the Chagossian Government, Misley Mandarin, said: \"This is an utterly deplorable move by the Mauritius Government.\n\n\"The Maldives should be applauded for its brave and principled decision to challenge Sir Keir Starmer's Government over its continued role in the persecution of the Chagossian people.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\"Mauritius is weaponising diplomacy which will have serious ramifications for the region.\n\n\"However, responsibility for the rising tensions in the Indian Ocean lies solely with the UK Government for attempting to give Mauritius our islands.\n\n\"They must scrap this deal immediately, in its entirety.\"\n\nIn a statement released after a Cabinet meeting, the Mauritian government said it had “taken note” of the Maldives’ decision to withdraw recognition of Mauritian sovereignty over the Chagos Archipelago and to oppose the UK–Mauritius agreement, adding that, “in view thereof”, it had decided to suspend diplomatic relations with the Maldives.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nG\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe diplomatic fallout comes as pressure from the United States has been bubbling over the deal.\n\nA letter sent by four Republican lawmakers to the Trump administration on Friday regarding the plan would “present serious risks to US national security and the long-term viability of one of America's most strategically important military installations”, the Wall Street Journal reports.\n\nA letter, seen by the American publication, between Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, called on the administration to reject the deal and stop any diplomatic communications approving it.\n\nThe UK cannot lawfully transfer sovereignty over the Chagos Archipelago to Mauritius without American consent due to a 1966 Treaty.\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n  * Europe braces for ANOTHER migrant crisis with millions prepared to flee Middle East amid US-Iran war\n  * Britain withdraws embassy staff from Iran as fears of US attack grow\n  * Donald Trump REFUSES to back Chagos deal unless Keir Starmer lets him attack Iran from UK-US base\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nDonald Trrump's interest in the deal feeds into the developing situation in the Middle-East, with America’s sights set on attacking Iran.\n\nIran and the US are locked in talks with the latter calling for the former to denuclearise for the third time, but a deal has not been reached.\n\nUS sea and air power has been proliferating in the Middle East.\n\nWhilst strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities last year did not use the Diego Garcia base, it is understood a second set of strikes would be a more sustained bombing campaign, with the US military seeking to deploy from both the Chagos Islands and the UK itself.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nFor many Chagossians, they are also opposing the deal, which would hand over sovereignty of the Chagos Archipelago to Mauritius, with the UK leasing the Diego Garcia base on a 99-year lease.\n\nOn February 17, Mr Mandarin issued a Declaration of Return upon landing on the Chagos Islands on behalf of the Chagossian people and announced a new permanent settlement in their homeland.\n\nThe First Minister was served a removal order last week, stating he had to leave the Chagos Islands, otherwise he faces three years imprisonment or a £3,000 fine.\n\nHowever, on Wednesday, Chagossians welcomed a judge’s decision to uphold an injunction blocking their removal from the archipelago.\n\nLawyers acting on their behalf secured an injunction last week preventing their removal for at least seven days.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nMr Mandarin, told GB News the treaty should be “put in the bin”.\n\nSpeaking to Martin Daubney on the People's Channel, he said: “We have supplies. We’re here. I’m fighting for my country to stay British.\n\n“I’m staying put. We are 130-miles away from the Diego Garcia base.\n\n“We pose no threat [to the base]. We come to our homeland and they want to remove us.\n\n“They’re going to have to drag me.\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter**",
  "title": "Keir Starmer's Chagos Islands surrender in chaos as Mauritius scrap relations with Maldives"
}