{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreicb3kts73stuysceuhm3ltntr523ju6ud5l4y4xa6tyzomjembfiq",
"uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mfrs2bg3wri2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreiaaml6xa3vezw3c2bvpl23rydq763pz6w6gbaomm4jnpym5bsz7cu"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 59369
},
"path": "/money/world-economic-forum-wef-chief-quits-amid-backlash-over-jeffrey-epstein-meetings",
"publishedAt": "2026-02-26T16:23:17.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"Mortgage warning: Just because you can borrow 6x your salary, doesn't mean you should",
"Ftse 100 jumps to new record high as global debt skyrockets to £256TRILLION",
"Nationwide to axe free £175 bonus as deadline date confirmed - how YOU can still claim",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\nBorge Brende has resigned as president and chief executive of the World Economic Forum (WEF) following mounting scrutiny over his past meetings with convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.\n\nThe former Norwegian foreign minister confirmed on Thursday that he would step down from the Geneva-based organisation after more than eight years in the role.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHis departure comes after it emerged that he attended three business dinners with Epstein in 2018 and 2019.\n\nDocuments released by the US Justice Department also revealed email and text message exchanges between Mr Brende and the disgraced financier.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe forum commissioned an external investigation after Mr Brende acknowledged the meetings several weeks ago.\n\nAccording to the organisation’s co-chairs, the independent review conducted by external legal counsel concluded that no further issues were identified beyond those already in the public domain.\n\nCo-chairs Andre Hoffmann and Larry Fink said in a statement that the findings did not uncover additional concerns.\n\nMr Brende’s resignation statement did not directly reference Epstein or the controversy surrounding the meetings.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHe said: \"After careful consideration, I have decided to step down as president and chief executive of the World Economic Forum.\n\n\"I am grateful for the incredible collaboration with my colleagues, partners and constituents, and I believe now is the right moment for the forum to continue its important work without distractions.\"\n\nMr Brende has stated previously that he was unaware of Epstein’s criminal history when they first met in 2018.\n\nHe has also expressed regret that more thorough background checks were not carried out at the time.\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n * Mortgage warning: Just because you can borrow 6x your salary, doesn't mean you should\n * Ftse 100 jumps to new record high as global debt skyrockets to £256TRILLION\n * Nationwide to axe free £175 bonus as deadline date confirmed - how YOU can still claim\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nMr Brende assumed leadership of the forum in 2017 after serving in the Norwegian Government as foreign minister.\n\nThe Justice Department has released more than three million pages of documentation linked to Epstein, who died in prison in 2019 while awaiting trial on federal sex-trafficking charges.\n\nEpstein had previously been convicted in 2008 of soliciting prostitution from a minor.\n\nThe release of the documents has renewed focus on his connections to high-profile figures across politics and business.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThose named in material connected to Epstein include US President Donald Trump, former US President Bill Clinton and Tesla chief executive Elon Musk.\n\nThe disclosures have also drawn attention to links within the British establishment, including Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.\n\nMr Hoffmann and Mr Fink paid tribute to his tenure at the organisation in a joint statement issued following his resignation.\n\nThey said: \"We wish to express our sincere appreciation for Borge Brende's significant contributions to the World Economic Forum.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\"His dedication and leadership have been instrumental during a pivotal period of reforms for the organisation, leading to a successful annual meeting in Davos.\"\n\nThe co-chairs confirmed that they respected his decision to leave the post.\n\nAlois Zwinggi has been appointed interim president and chief executive while the Board of Trustees oversees the search for a permanent successor.\n\nThe fallout from the Epstein case has prompted scrutiny and investigations involving several prominent individuals.\n\nBill Gates recently apologised to members of his foundation after images surfaced showing him at gatherings organised by Epstein.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter **",
"title": "World Economic Forum chief quits amid backlash over Jeffrey Epstein meetings"
}