{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreigohdmikfspfemlamu4ihqgml2f7msnivv4manqgri3ekzrn76xj4",
"uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mflc4jthuq22"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreiens7gicgxtqir2h2f3ktx4nkvk3oz5zqbkm7ov2e7mfsid3dttpm"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 66140
},
"path": "/news/lord-mandelson-released-on-bail-arrest-misconduct-public-office",
"publishedAt": "2026-02-24T02:44:59.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"Peter Mandelson arrested as he is pictured being escorted by police amid Epstein investigation",
"Peter Mandelson arrest is a 'big disaster' for Sir Keir Starmer, security expert warns",
"Chagos 2.0? Fears of 'dodgy cover-up' explode as report exposes Labour's 'secret' Gibraltar deal",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\nLord Mandelson has been released on bail by the Metropolitan Police following his arrest on Monday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.\n\nIn a statement, the Metropolitan Police said: \"A 72-year-old man arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office has been released on bail pending further investigation.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\"He was arrested at an address in Camden on Monday, February 23 and was taken to a London police station for interview.\n\n\"This follows search warrants at two addresses in the Wiltshire and Camden areas.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\"We are not able to provide further information at this stage to prevent prejudicing the integrity of the investigation.\"\n\nThe former ambassador to the US has been accused of passing sensitive information to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.\n\nHe was appointed to the ambassadorial role in February 2025, but was sacked in September after Downing Street said new information about his relationship to Epstein had come to light.\n\nFootage has shown Lord Mandelson returning to his home alone in the dead of night.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHe was seen being led out of his home by plain clothes police officers on Monday.\n\nTwo of his properties have also been searched in connection with the allegations.\n\nLord Mandelson appeared in emails published in the Department of Justice's Epstein files dated 2009 and 2010, after the prolific paedophile had become a convicted sex offender.\n\nIn one email, he appeared to pass on an assessment by former Prime Minister Gordon Brown's adviser of potential policy measures, including an \"asset sales plan\".\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n * Peter Mandelson arrested as he is pictured being escorted by police amid Epstein investigation\n * Peter Mandelson arrest is a 'big disaster' for Sir Keir Starmer, security expert warns\n * Chagos 2.0? Fears of 'dodgy cover-up' explode as report exposes Labour's 'secret' Gibraltar deal\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHe also appeared to discuss a tax on banker's bonuses and confirm an upcoming bailout package the day before it was announced.\n\nThe Liberal Democrats have called for the release of files relating to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's appointment as trade envoy after he was arrested earlier this week, also accused of sharing sensitive information to Epstein.\n\nThe Government has said it expects to release documents relating to Lord Mandelson's appointment as US ambassador to be released in March.\n\nChief Secretary to the Prime Minister, Darren Jones, said some of the correspondence between the Government and the peer will be delayed \"because of the Metropolitan Police interest\".\n\nThe Prime Minister has said the files will prove that the former business secretary lied during the vetting process about his connections to Epstein.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nLord Mandelson has said he has \"no recollection\" of receiving payments of £55,000 from Epstein between 2003 and 2004 as noted in the files.\n\nEpstein is said to have paid for Lord Mandelson's husband Reinaldo Avila Da Silva to take osteopathy courses in 2009.\n\nUS lawmakers have urged the former Labour peer to testify in Congress.\n\nMr Mountbatten-Windsor has denied any wrongdoing over his links to the paedophile financier, but has not directly responded to the latest allegations.\n\nLord Mandelson has repeated affirmed that he has not acted criminally and that he did not act for personal gain.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter **",
"title": "Lord Mandelson released on bail following arrest over allegations of misconduct in public office"
}