External Publication
Visit Post

Eddie Hearn left 'devastated' as he breaks silence on Conor Benn 'painful' split

Home: Latest & breaking News | GB News [Unofficial] February 21, 2026
Source

Eddie Hearn has expressed profound disappointment following Conor Benn's unexpected decision to leave Matchroom Boxing for Dana White's Zuffa Boxing venture.

The 46-year-old promoter, speaking to iFL TV after the bombshell news broke, admitted he may have fundamentally misread the fighter he had supported for 10 years.

Hearn said: "Me personally, pretty devastated. I have had a few days to digest what might happen. It is not often you get shocked."

The promoter reflected on the extensive support Matchroom provided throughout Benn's career, including financial assistance during difficult periods.

TRENDING

Stories

Videos

Your Say

Hearn added: "I believed him and I backed him and I never gave in when he was done, out. Loaned him hundreds of thousands of pounds, but yeah on we go."

Benn, the 29-year-old son of British boxing icon Nigel Benn, made his shock announcement on Thursday, bringing an end to a partnership that began with his professional debut in 2016.

The welterweight contender, who harbours ambitions of capturing the WBC title, expressed gratitude towards his former promoter whilst explaining his reasoning for the switch.

Benn declared in his statement: "I'm filled with excitement and hunger for what's ahead with Zuffa Boxing."

He added: "I want the legacy fights, the biggest nights, the biggest stages. I fear no man at any weight, and I'm ready to give the fans the fights they've been calling for."

The fighter described the offer from White's organisation as "an opportunity I simply couldn't refuse" and indicated he hoped Hearn might still play some role in his future endeavours.

The agreement with Zuffa is understood to be a single-fight contract reportedly valued in eight figures, which would leave Benn free to negotiate again after his debut under the new banner.

UFC chief executive White hailed the acquisition as significant for his boxing venture.

LATEST SPORT NEWS

  • Conor Benn announces shock new decision to sign with UFC boss in huge blow to Eddie Hearn
  • FA concludes investigation into Jim Ratcliffe after immigration comments as verdict revealed
  • Floyd Mayweather confirms plan to make sensational return to boxing after Mike Tyson bout

White said: "Conor Benn is an absolute beast and a superstar. He shows up every time and destroys people, and now some of the best fighters in the world are calling him out."

A potential clash with American star Ryan Garcia has emerged as a tantalising prospect, with Benn having long pursued the matchup.

Zuffa is reportedly planning several London events throughout 2026, and Benn has previously suggested the pair could fill a stadium together.

The British fighter is expected to attend Garcia's upcoming bout against Mario Barrios.

Garcia's promotional status remains complicated, with conflicting claims surrounding his Golden Boy Promotions contract.

The fighter has indicated his deal expires on Sunday, though founder Oscar De La Hoya insists several bouts remain on the agreement.

Chris Eubank Jr, who defeated Benn in their first encounter last April before losing the December rematch, weighed in with a caustic assessment on social media.

Eubank Jr wrote on X: "Eddie stuck by Conor Benn through thick & thin, getting him off of drug charges & giving him money to live when he had nothing."

Hearn expressed particular frustration at how the departure was handled, revealing he received notification via email from Benn's lawyer and was subsequently denied a telephone conversation with the fighter himself.

The promoter said: "I just think the way it was done was very very wrong."

Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter

Discussion in the ATmosphere

Loading comments...