External Publication
Visit Post

Britons overwhelmingly back Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor being removed from Royal Family's line of succession

Home: Latest & breaking News | GB News [Unofficial] February 20, 2026
Source

Four in five Britons have backed calls for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor to be removed from the royal line of succession following the former prince's arrest.

A new YouGov survey revealed that 82 per cent of Britons feel Andrew is no longer suitable to be in line to the throne, following recent developments surrounding the former Duke of York.

Andrew was arrested yesterday morning and spent 11 hours in police custody on his 66th birthday.

The former prince, who became the first senior royal in modern history to be arrested, is accused of sharing sensitive information with Epstein while serving as the UK's trade envoy.

TRENDING

Stories

Videos

Your Say

Andrew is currently eighth in line to the throne, with Prince William and his three children, and Prince Harry and his son and daughter, ahead of him.

Six per cent of Britons feel Andrew should remain in the royal line of succession, while 12 per cent are unsure.

The former prince arrived back at the Sandringham Estate after being questioned by police at Aylsham police station.

The King's younger brother was filmed being driven into the Norfolk estate, where he relocated earlier this month.

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS

  • King and senior royals put on brave faces but new bombshell will strike fear into their hearts
  • Beatrice and Eugenie 'are in a state' after Andrew's arrest
  • Andrew arrives back at Sandringham Estate after gruelling one-hour car journey

Andrew was pictured slouched in the back of a vehicle upon his drive back to Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate.

His brother, King Charles, said that "the law must take its course" after expressing his "deepest concern" over the arrest.

Thames Valley Police said he was released under investigation, and searches at a property in Norfolk, Andrew's home on the Sandringham Estate, had concluded.

Searches at his former address, Royal Lodge in Windsor, Berkshire, are ongoing.

The former prince has denied any wrongdoing over his Epstein links, but has not directly responded to the latest allegations.

It is understood that neither the King nor Buckingham Palace was informed before the arrest.

His Majesty released a statement within two hours of his brother's arrest, which read: "I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.

"What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.

"In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.

"As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all."

The Prince and Princess of Wales are said to have supported the statement.

Andrew has denied any wrongdoing over his Epstein links, but has not directly responded to the latest allegations.

Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter

Discussion in the ATmosphere

Loading comments...