{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreiduben253d4ru6qx34nsx5ydjj747vwamysiro7gkt5p7vejnqgai",
"uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mfazirp2h6r2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreibl4y4gr7ftd7oovfzhyrtyyjvvtvdemtrhgt2adsy6qjvuf7rcyq"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 70228
},
"path": "/news/world/iran-donald-trump-consequences-us-strikes",
"publishedAt": "2026-02-20T01:41:23.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"Donald Trump hurried into Iran crisis meeting as top ally warns US could 'strike within HOURS'",
"GB News panel outlines six key reasons Iran is heading for war - 'We could be days away!'",
"British couple sentenced to 10 years in Iranian prison after arrest during global motorbike journey",
"Attorney General Lord Hermer",
"describing it last month as an act of \"great stupidity\"",
"returned to his earlier position and said the Prime Minister was \"making a big mistake\"",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\nIran has threatened Donald Trump with \"uncontrolled consequences\" if the US launches strikes.\n\nIn a letter to the United Nations, Iran has called for the UN Security Council to use its authority to ensure the US \"immediately ceases\" threats to Iran.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nIt goes on to warn if the US does strike Iran, the country would respond \"decisively and proportionately\".\n\nIt adds that all bases, facilities, and assets of the \"hostile force\" in the Middle East would be \"legitimate targets\".\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe letter, penned by Amir-Saeid Iravani, Iran's ambassador to the United Nations, concludes: \"The United States would bear full and direct responsibility for any unpredictable and uncontrolled consequences.\"\n\nHowever, Sir Keir Starmer has blocked the US from using an RAF base to strike Iran.\n\nIt is believed Mr Trump's U-turn on the Chagos deal was in response to Downing Street's refusal to allow the US to launch bombing runs on Iran from RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire.\n\nA US strike on Iran would then deploy from the joint US-UK military base on Diego Garcia.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe UK does not need to consent for the US to use Diego Garcia, but must consent to allow the US to use RAF bases.\n\nOn Wednesday, Mr Trump said: \"Should Iran decide not to make a deal, it may be necessary for the United States to use Diego Garcia, and the Airfield located in Fairford, in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous regime.\"\n\nRAF Fairford hosts US military personnel, and Vice President JD Vance visited the base last year.\n\nRepublican Senator Lindsey Graham accused Britain of being on \"the wrong side of history\" in response to the reports.\n\n### LATEST FROM IRAN:\n\n\n\n\n * Donald Trump hurried into Iran crisis meeting as top ally warns US could 'strike within HOURS'\n * GB News panel outlines six key reasons Iran is heading for war - 'We could be days away!'\n * British couple sentenced to 10 years in Iranian prison after arrest during global motorbike journey\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHe described the decision as \"beyond surprising\".\n\nHe added: \"I’ve been a military lawyer most of my adult life. What they’re saying about the status of Diego Garcia, the joint US-UK military base, is a huge question.\n\n\"The bottom line is the largest state sponsor of terrorism on the planet is the weakest it’s been because the people of Iran have risen up by the millions to end their oppression and the United States and Israel have delivered crushing blows to the regime’s military infrastructure.\"\n\n\"To my friends in Britain, sitting this one out puts you on the wrong side of history and is yet another example of how much our alliances throughout Europe have degraded,\" the South Carolinian senator concluded.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe reason the UK has refused to give consent is due to concerns raised by Government lawyers the strikes would be against international law, as first reported by The Times.\n\nBefore America's strikes on Iran last year, Attorney General Lord Hermer reportedly said British involvement would be illegal.\n\n\nMr Trump has said \"really bad things\" would happen if an agreement with Tehran over its nuclear programme was not met.\n\nAddressing his newly-formed \"Board of Peace\" on Wednesday, he said it would soon be revealed whether the US would \"take it a step further\" to Iran in the next 10 days.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nAsked to clarify later by reporters, he said: \"I would think that would be enough time, 10, 15 days, pretty much maximum.\"\n\nHe declined to be specific in terms of what a further step would look like, other than again warning it would be \"really bad things\".\n\nMr Trump has flipped his position on the Chagos Islands deal several times, describing it last month as an act of \"great stupidity\".\n\nHe then said it was the best deal Sir Keir could have done.\n\nHowever, earlier this week, Mr Trump returned to his earlier position and said the Prime Minister was \"making a big mistake\".\n\nHe said: \"We will always be ready, willing, and able to fight for the UK, but they have to remain strong in the face of wokeism, and other problems put before them. DO NOT GIVE AWAY DIEGO GARCIA!\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter **",
"title": "Furious Iran threatens Donald Trump with 'uncontrollable consequences' if US launches strikes"
}