{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreigolhikxk455465q3r72eyatrfw7iywogqifpq6rvzv2ftr7paqre",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mf4teskqzb22"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreicf4dec2b2aiwqqbt7xtng2jzrssquoxvkn2jefl4pvnimfblf6lm"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 82499
  },
  "path": "/sport/golf/tiger-woods-retirement-update-injuries",
  "publishedAt": "2026-02-18T09:35:54.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
  "tags": [
    "Rory McIlroy reveals frustration despite banking huge sum for Pebble Beach exploits",
    "Rory McIlroy makes feelings clear on 'fifth Major' after controversial marketing slogan",
    "Rory McIlroy confirms U-turn on major change ahead of PGA Tour opening: 'The experiment is over!'",
    "The GB News Editorial Charter"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\n\n\nTiger Woods has given an update on his retirement decision, suggesting he could make an appearance at this year's Masters Tournament.\n\nThe golf legend, who celebrated his 50th birthday in December, has been absent from PGA action since July 2024, when he missed the cut at The Open.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nA series of injuries forced him to step away from the sport.\n\nThe American, who has claimed 15 major titles throughout his remarkable career, spoke about his potential return while attending the Genesis Invitational in California, an event he hosts.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nWoods underwent surgery to replace a disc in his back during October, marking the latest in a lengthy series of procedures the five-time Masters champion has endured.\n\nSpeaking to the media on Wednesday at the Genesis Invitational, he explained that he remains firmly committed to making a competitive comeback, with Augusta National potentially serving as the stage for his return to action.\n\nHe said: \"I’m trying, put it that way.\n\n\"The disc replacement has been one thing, it’s been a challenge.\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nWoods added: \"I entered a new decade, so that number is starting to sink in.\n\n\"My body has been through a lot. It’s one of those things, each and every day I keep trying, keep progressing and working on it.\n\n\"I’m trying to get this body at a level where I can play at the highest level again.\n\n\"Yeah I’m able to (hit full shots), not well every day, but I can hit them.\"\n\n### LATEST SPORT NEWS\n\n\n\n\n  * Rory McIlroy reveals frustration despite banking huge sum for Pebble Beach exploits\n  * Rory McIlroy makes feelings clear on 'fifth Major' after controversial marketing slogan\n  * Rory McIlroy confirms U-turn on major change ahead of PGA Tour opening: 'The experiment is over!'\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nAnd when asked if the Masters, which takes place in early April, was \"off the table\", Woods responded: \"No.\"\n\nHe remains unwilling to commit to a specific return date but indicated it could arrive sooner than anticipated.\n\nWoods also revealed that he has been approached regarding the United States captaincy for the 2027 Ryder Cup, which will take place in Ireland.\n\nThe American previously turned down the captaincy two years ago, citing insufficient time to dedicate properly to the role.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHe said: \"Yeah, they have asked me for my input on it, and I haven't made my decision yet.\n\n\"I'm trying to figure out what we're trying to do with our tour.\"\n\nWoods compared his current commitments to his playing days, suggesting that boardroom duties now exceed his former practice regimen.\n\nHe added: \"I thought I spent a lot of hours practicing in my prime. It doesn't compare to what we've done in the boardroom.\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter**",
  "title": "Tiger Woods gives retirement update after injuries lead to 18 months away from golf"
}