{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreicp4vpzor4qdhaysmximuiu767meas3yqsocy3zhgpefnnvyiaeny",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mexsg5ofxui2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreicxg4q22yuaioearblaotuvspza6t3fatzwzstjzc4mzapuxxf4na"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 78790
  },
  "path": "/news/world/bondi-beach-shooting-suspect-court",
  "publishedAt": "2026-02-16T10:05:06.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
  "tags": [
    "Education leaders issue major plea to Keir Starmer over 'authoritarian' social media ban for under-16s",
    "Keir Starmer launches urgent appeal to Britain on new social media ban",
    "'It's a disaster for children!' Keir Starmer accused of 'kicking it into the long grass' as PM launches consultation on social media ban",
    "The GB News Editorial Charter"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\n\nThe accused Bondi Beach gunman has faced court for the first time, two months after he and his father allegedly carried out Australia's worst mass shooting in almost 30 years.\n\nNaveed Akram, 24, appeared in a Sydney court for about five minutes via video link from prison on Monday.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHe faces 59 charges relating to the Bondi Beach shooting, including 15 counts of murder and one of committing a terrorist attack.\n\nNaveed and his father, Sajid, allegedly attacked a Hanukkah event at the famous beach on December 14, killing 15 people and injuring more than 40.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nSajid, 50, was shot dead by police at the scene, while Naveed was injured and later transferred from hospital to prison.\n\nMonday was the first time Naveed had been seen and spoken since his arrest, saying just one word when Deputy Chief Magistrate Sharon Freund asked if he heard a discussion about an extension of suppression orders: \"Yeah\".\n\nThe court orders cover the identities of those who survived the shooting, but allow the survivors to self-identify if they wish.\n\nOutside court, Akram's lawyer, Ben Archbold, said it was too early to say what plea his client would enter, according to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHe said the 24-year-old was doing \"as well as can be expected\" while in custody in Goulburn supermax prison.\n\n\"Everyone knows it's supermax - very onerous conditions,\" Archbold told journalists.\n\nWhen asked if Akram had given a police interview, he said: \"All we've done is start the process. We're waiting for the brief to be served. There's nothing more I can say”.\n\nCourt documents released in late December alleged that the two shooters \"meticulously\" planned the attack on Bondi Beach for months, and visited the location for reconnaissance two days prior.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n  * Education leaders issue major plea to Keir Starmer over 'authoritarian' social media ban for under-16s\n  * Keir Starmer launches urgent appeal to Britain on new social media ban\n  * 'It's a disaster for children!' Keir Starmer accused of 'kicking it into the long grass' as PM launches consultation on social media ban\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nOne video taken on one of their mobile phones in October was described as showing the men sitting in front of an image of an Islamic State group (IS) flag.\n\nPolice reports indicate they could be heard making statements about their motivations for the attack and condemning \"the acts of 'Zionists”.\n\nPolice said separate footage from October showed the father and son \"conducting firearms training in a countryside location\", believed to be in New South Wales.\n\nThey were seen \"firing shotguns and moving in a tactical manner\", officials added.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nAuthorities earlier confirmed that two rabbis, a Holocaust survivor and a 10-year-old girl were among the victims of the Bondi Beach attack.\n\nWhen police swarmed the south-west Sydney home of the alleged gunmen, Akram’s mother, Verena, expressed disbelief that her son could carry out such a massacre, insisting he is a “good boy”.\n\nShe told the Sydney Morning Herald: “He doesn’t have a firearm. He doesn’t even go out.\n\n\"He doesn’t mix around with friends. He doesn’t drink, he doesn’t smoke, he doesn’t go to bad places - he goes to work, he comes home, he goes to exercise, and that’s it\".\n\nAkram is next due in court in April.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter **",
  "title": "Bondi Beach shooting suspect living in 'very onerous conditions' claims lawyer after first court appearance"
}