{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreihr3m6c52zkq3mj2kp3e6br2b5kljqvczpedmebanfswl6iv6qjjm",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mercjvvjoec2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreiejya5ht22exwnj5wgxta5zu5ruhkz53kyugkfdl5pad326o66tiy"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 43285
  },
  "path": "/news/world/arc-de-triomphe-shooting",
  "publishedAt": "2026-02-13T18:05:22.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
  "tags": [
    "Over 60 Channel migrants rescued off French coast after boat suffered engine failure",
    "Louvre releases new pictures of royal crown damaged during brazen heist",
    "France 'sinking to third-world status' after devastating new figures emerge",
    "The GB News Editorial Charter"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\n\nA knifeman has been shot in Paris after charging at French police officers near the Arc de Triomphe, according to reports.\n\nThe suspect reportedly attacked officers with a bladed weapon in the city's 8th arrondissement shortly after 6pm local time (5pm GMT).\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe attack is said to have taken place during the Rekindling of the Flame ceremony, a daily, solemn service held under the Arc de Triomphe to honour the Unknown Soldier and French war victims.\n\nSources have claimed the individual was already known to authorities in France.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nAccording to Le Figaro, the suspect shouted: “Our women and children should not have been killed ... we’ll see who triumphs under the Arc de Triomphe.”\n\nAfter being shot by an officer, the suspect was transported to the Georges-Pompidou European Hospital in a critical condition, news website Actu17 reports.\n\nLocal media said the suspect was the subject of a MICAS (Military Investigation and Support Measure), which is imposed by the interior ministry against individuals who pose a serious threat to public safety and order.\n\nNo other injuries were reported and an investigation into the incident is now ongoing.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nIn a statement, the National Anti-Terrorist Prosecutor's Office said. \"Following the events that occurred on February 13, 2026 in Paris, the National Anti-Terrorist Prosecutor's Office has taken up these facts and opened a preliminary investigation.\n\n\"A magistrate from the National Anti-Terrorist Prosecutor's Office is traveling to the scene in Paris.\"\n\nLaurent Nuñez, France’s interior minister, said “the response was within the legal and regulatory framework”.\n\nHe added: “A man attempted to attack members of the gendarmerie with a knife, including members of the gendarmerie band who were preparing for the ceremony.\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n  * Over 60 Channel migrants rescued off French coast after boat suffered engine failure\n  * Louvre releases new pictures of royal crown damaged during brazen heist\n  * France 'sinking to third-world status' after devastating new figures emerge\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n“This individual attempted to take the life of a gendarme.”\n\nJeanne d’Hauteserre, the mayor of Paris’s 8th District, said a cordon had been set up in an area west of the Champs-Élysées.\n\nCharles de Gaulle-Étoile station has also been closed for security reasons.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter**",
  "title": "Knifeman 'known to authorities' SHOT by French police near the Arc de Triomphe in Paris"
}