{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreig5j5ovb3drzhbhb5cimq5hyzc44y3jl342xznybcqdxuu2s5zilm",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3memiaisqqhj2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreidte7pfebyrzuy2277e7ffavjj3ahqomepmukxld6gewuhudkpvhu"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 97581
  },
  "path": "/royal/ed-davey-king-charles-windsor-castle-donald-trump-boycott",
  "publishedAt": "2026-02-11T21:20:43.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
  "tags": [
    "also included Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer",
    "publicly declined an invitation to the state banquet hosted by the King for President Trump",
    "King welcomes Sir Keir Starmer and Lady Victoria Starmer to royal residence",
    "William tells Duchy of Cornwall tenant to ‘keep going’ after donating £5,000",
    "William under pressure as Charity Commission to review Earthshot funding complaint",
    "The GB News Editorial Charter"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\n\nSir Ed Davey attended a Windsor Castle reception hosted by King Charles and Queen Camilla on Wednesday evening, despite previously boycotting the state banquet held for Donald Trump at the royal residence last year.\n\nThe Liberal Democrat leader was among the guests welcomed by the King and Queen at the reception, which also included Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer, Lady Victoria Starmer, the Duchess of Edinburgh, and the Duchess of Gloucester.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe event was staged to recognise both paid and unpaid carers across the United Kingdom and brought together people working in care, along with those who look after family members and friends without pay.\n\nThe attendance of Sir Ed came after he publicly declined an invitation to the state banquet hosted by the King for President Trump during the US President’s state visit in September 2025.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nAnnouncing the decision at the time, Sir Ed said he would boycott the dinner as a protest linked to the humanitarian crisis in Gaza and said it was an “enormous honour” to receive an invitation from the King.\n\nSir Ed also said he had “thought and prayed long and hard” about whether to accept the invitation before deciding he could not attend.\n\nIn an article published around the same period, he wrote that refusing an invitation from the King went against his instincts, but said he believed it was the only way to send a message about Gaza.\n\nIn a printed message to guests, the King said he and the Queen were “delighted” to host Wednesday's reception as they celebrated “those remarkable individuals who dedicate their lives to the care of others”.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nKing Charles said there are around five million people providing unpaid care to a loved one across the country and described them as one in every 10 adults.\n\nHe also highlighted the estimated 1.6 million professionals working in adult social care, including nurses, care workers and support staff.\n\nThe King said the two groups, alongside charities and organisations, form “the foundation upon which so many families and society itself depends”.\n\nKing Charles used the message to address challenges faced by carers, including isolation, exhaustion and financial strain and said practical support matters alongside thanks.\n\n### LATEST ROYAL DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n  * King welcomes Sir Keir Starmer and Lady Victoria Starmer to royal residence\n  * William tells Duchy of Cornwall tenant to ‘keep going’ after donating £5,000\n  * William under pressure as Charity Commission to review Earthshot funding complaint\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHe also drew attention to young carers, saying there are hundreds of thousands of children and young people across the UK taking on responsibilities.\n\nThese include preparing meals, administering medication, providing emotional support and managing household chores.\n\nKing Charles said some young carers are as young as five and warned it is important that their responsibilities do not come at the cost of childhood education or future ambitions.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nWednesday’s Windsor reception brought senior political figures together with the King and Queen to highlight care as a national issue.\n\nKey figures present at the reception included Colleen Rooney, Kate Garraway, Patricia Hodge, Pat McFadden, Rory Stewart, and Susan Hampshire.\n\nThe monarch used the occasion to spotlight both unpaid family carers and the professional workforce supporting adult social care.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter **",
  "title": "Sir Ed Davey meets King Charles at Windsor Castle months after boycotting Donald Trump banquet"
}