{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreihqjrpk7f6vwdxfkqp2x5oj5fqu7inff44fty6abc657uoyecftte",
"uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mejdo7frisb2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreigw7kjkmetsfakosaiwnehvht2y2d3ziu2re2xroetasfeeoyqgti"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 61101
},
"path": "/news/migrant-crisis-rescued-french-coast-boat-engine-failure",
"publishedAt": "2026-02-10T15:14:04.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"_an inquiry_",
"Romanian gangster running child fight club can stay in UK despite being wanted to serve jail time",
"Home Office officials 'fell asleep on job' escorting illegal migrants back to France",
"More than 50 dead or missing after dinghy carrying asylum seekers capsizes in Mediterranean",
"_a child died_",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\nOver 60 migrants have been rescued off the French coast after a boat suffered an engine failure.\n\nThe French authorities have rescued 66 small boat migrants after the engine stopped working in the English Channel on Sunday night.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nRescuers in the local prefecture said the incident happened off the cost of Pas-de-Calais.\n\nThe French authority in a statement said: “After the migrant boat suffered an engine failure, the patrol vessel launched its rescue boat and made contact, progressively rescuing all 66 people on board before heading to the port of Calais for medical care and assistance by shore-based teams.”\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nA spokesman added: “This maritime area is one of the busiest in the world, and navigation conditions are difficult both in summer and winter, particularly for makeshift and overcrowded vessels.”\n\nThis event comes after _an inquiry_ into the deadliest Channel crossing on record, which concluded small boat crossings “must end” to avoid further deaths in the sea.\n\nThe incident occurred when a crowded inflatable boat capsized during the night of November 23-24 2021, leaving only two survivors who were discovered in the water nearly 12 hours after the initial calls for help.\n\nAt least 33 people were on the small boat, with 27 confirmed deaths and four people “missing”.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe inquiry found that at least some of the deaths had been “avoidable”, with British and French authorities could have acted more quickly.\n\nIt detailed “systemic failures, missed opportunities” and “chronic staff shortages” in the UK’s maritime response which contributed directly to the failure to rescue people.\n\nThe three key reasons some of the deaths were avoidable, including how people smugglers provided an “unsuitable” craft which they crowded with at least 33 people, many of which died.\n\nA French Navy vessel closest to the small boat failed to respond to messages for help which further delayed the discovery of the boat.\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n * Romanian gangster running child fight club can stay in UK despite being wanted to serve jail time\n * Home Office officials 'fell asleep on job' escorting illegal migrants back to France\n * More than 50 dead or missing after dinghy carrying asylum seekers capsizes in Mediterranean\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nFrench police at first denied receiving the call for help, however, HM Coastguard radio recordings showed the vessel was using the same channel.\n\nThis comes after _a child died_ after falling off a small boat while crossing the Channel in November, which occurred one day after three people drowned off the French coast whilst attempting to cross the sea.\n\nThe incident happened near the port of Boulogne, as a small boat got into difficulty near Écault beach.\n\nRescue services removed 48 migrants from the boat and took them ashore.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nA child was found unresponsive and died despite attempts at resuscitation.\n\nThe tragedy followed three deaths that happened the day before, with two women drowning on an overcrowded dinghy and a man found dead in the water near the coast of Dunkirk.\n\nA total of 41,472 migrants arrived in the UK in 2025 after crossing the English Channel - the second highest annual figure on record.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHome Office figures show 1,208 people have successfully crossed the Channel so far this year.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter **",
"title": "Over 60 Channel migrants rescued off French coast after boat suffered engine failure"
}