{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreihx5zjwfecqfoq5gvgluqlrqsbdnazmke6nr4e3pcpjfcmahjtwtm",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3me67vkp4sdf2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreibyzwca2zcgy23lymi3buh4eyuwia4llhjn4gqd6st2vrdkl3xdce"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 60616
  },
  "path": "/news/sadiq-khan-bus-driver-sacked-mark-hehir",
  "publishedAt": "2026-02-06T05:25:20.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
  "tags": [
    "bus driver who was sacked after stopping a thief",
    "petition",
    "Sadiq Khan could face rival 'opposition mayor' to keep him in check under plans",
    "Sadiq Khan launches attack on Tories and Reform for 'dancing to the tune of the far-right'",
    "Sadiq Khan branded 'absolute snake' while Keir Starmer vows to investigate London grooming gangs",
    "told GB News of his ordeal on Tuesday",
    "The GB News Editorial Charter"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\n\nSir Sadiq Khan has been urged to break his silence and back the bus driver who was sacked after stopping a thief.\n\nThe London Assembly passed a unanimous motion yesterday praising Mark Hehir - who was sacked in 2024 after knocking out a man who stole a passenger’s necklace.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nWhile the motion is non-binding, it piles pressure on the London Mayor - who is yet to comment on the case.\n\nThe leader of the Conservatives in the London Assembly, Susan Hall, has supported Mr Hehir and met him during his visit to Parliament this week.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nMr Hehir said: \"I want to thank Susan and the whole Assembly for supporting me. To have everyone come together, all different parties, it means a lot.\n\n“I hope the Mayor now finally says something, as it’s disappointing he hasn’t so far. I would welcome the chance to speak with him about it. I hope he will give his support as well.”\n\nMs Hall said: “I was delighted that we got the chance to discuss what happened to Mark at City Hall this afternoon.\n\n“I already knew he was a hero but having met him now and heard first-hand what he went through and what a thoroughly decent man he is, I am very glad the public have had a chance to show him their support.”\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nShe added: “It is time for the Mayor to show his support now.”\n\nConservative MP Dr Kieran Mullan started a petition to reinstate \"hero\" Mr Hehir which was signed by more than 130,000 people.\n\nA crowdfunder in support of the bus driver has raised more than £39,000 from public donations.\n\nMr Hehir was driving the 206 bus from Wembley to Maida Vale in northwest London on June 25, 2024.\n\n### READ MORE ON SADIQ KHAN:\n\n\n\n\n  * Sadiq Khan could face rival 'opposition mayor' to keep him in check under plans\n  * Sadiq Khan launches attack on Tories and Reform for 'dancing to the tune of the far-right'\n  * Sadiq Khan branded 'absolute snake' while Keir Starmer vows to investigate London grooming gangs\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nA tribunal heard that a man boarded the bus then stole a necklace from a female passenger before running off.\n\nMr Hehir then chased the man, retrieved the necklace and returned it to the passenger.\n\nThe man reappeared and threw the “first punch” at Mr Hehir, a tribunal heard.\n\nThe bus driver then responded by hitting the man, which left him unconscious.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nMr Hehir dragged the man to the pavement and restrained him for nearly half an hour.\n\nBoth men were arrested, but Mr Hehir was released without charge.\n\nThe day after the incident, Mr Hehir was suspended from duty and was subjected to an internal investigation.\n\nHe was told he brought the bus company into disrepute by physically assaulting a passenger and failing to ensure the safety of himself and his passengers.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nMr Hehir told GB News of his ordeal on Tuesday, saying: \"I caught up with him after about 200 metres. There was a brief scuffle, and he realised he wasn’t getting away. I recovered the necklace, walked back to the bus and handed it to Caroline.\n\n\"At that point, someone shouted, 'He’s coming back towards you.' I turned around and said, 'It’s over. We’ve got the necklace back. Move on'.\n\n\"But he kept advancing towards her. CCTV shows Caroline with her hand raised, telling him to go back. She’s frightened and backing away, yet he continues to come forward.\n\n\"Anyone who’s been robbed knows he wasn’t coming back to apologise. There was clearly an ulterior motive. I stood between him and Caroline, put my hand on his chest and leaned back, telling him to go away.\"\n\n\nGB News has approached the Mayor's office for comment.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter **",
  "title": "'Disappointing!' Sadiq Khan REFUSES to back bus driver sacked after stopping thief"
}