{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreibef5tp4v3ztyte3dxypr56wlnxbt6s2pwlhfq2odkf6uhal6pzdu"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 57779
  },
  "path": "/sport/football/efl-decision-rules-pep-guardiola-marc-guehi-carabao-cup-final",
  "publishedAt": "2026-02-05T11:10:33.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
  "tags": [
    "Guardiola demands football rule change despite Man City beating Newcastle to make Carabao Cup final",
    "EFL side kicked out of competition and given big fine after breaking football rules",
    "Pep Guardiola told 'stick to football' by Jewish groups over Gaza outburst as 'Man City let down'",
    "The GB News Editorial Charter"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\n\nMarc Guehi will not be allowed to play in the Carabao Cup final for Manchester City, GB News understands.\n\nCity manager Pep Guardiola said the club would seek permission for him to feature at Wembley on March 22 after they booked their final place by completing a 5-1 aggregate win over Newcastle in the semi-final on Wednesday night.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHowever, it is now understood that there will be no change in the rule by the EFL to enable Guehi to play.\n\nRule 6.4.2 applies to the Carabao Cup that allows a player to represent two different clubs in the same competition season under strict timing conditions.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThey must have signed before the end of the winter transfer window or the first leg of the semi, whichever is sooner.\n\nAs Guehi signed for Manchester City from Crystal Palace on January 19, six days after the first leg of the semi-final, he will remain illegible.\n\nAntone Semenyo is able to play as he signed from Bournemouth earlier in January, before the semi-final first leg.\n\nMax Alleyne, who featured in the competition on loan for Watford earlier in the season before being recalled by City, was also able to play.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nManchester City signed Guehi for an initial fee of £20million amid a defensive injury crisis at the club.\n\nThe 25-year-old England international signed a five-and-a-half-year contract extending to the summer of 2031.\n\nHe has made two Premier League appearances since joining, establishing himself as a key player under Guardiola.\n\nBoth Josko Gvardiol and Ruben Dias suffered season-ending injuries, forcing the former Premier League Champions to act in January.\n\n### LATEST SPORT NEWS\n\n\n\n\n  * Guardiola demands football rule change despite Man City beating Newcastle to make Carabao Cup final\n  * EFL side kicked out of competition and given big fine after breaking football rules\n  * Pep Guardiola told 'stick to football' by Jewish groups over Gaza outburst as 'Man City let down'\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nGuardiola said on Wednesday regarding Guehi: \"Why should he not play? Why not? He’s our player, we pay his salary, we hired him…\n\n\"We want to ask. I said to the club we have to ask definitely. I don’t understand the reason why he cannot play in the final of the Carabao Cup in March when he has been here a long time…\n\n\"Of course we are going to ask because it’s pure logic. (But) to change the rule, no way. But we will try.\"\n\nCity will now meet Arsenal at Wembley on March 22 in a showdown between the Premier League's top two sides.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nGuardiola said: \"I do not take it for granted. I know how difficult it is. I don’t know how many semi-finals and finals we have played in the FA Cup but it’s really good, and in 10 years five Carabao Cup finals so it’s really good: top, top, top.”\n\nManchester City have now played at Wembley at least once every season since 2010-11.\n\nOmar Marmoush proved the difference-maker for the hosts against Newcastle, netting twice in a devastating first-half display that effectively killed the tie.\n\nTijjani Reijnders completed the first-half demolition three minutes later, finishing coolly after Burn's tackle on Semenyo inadvertently played him through.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter**",
  "title": "EFL make decision on changing rules after Pep Guardiola complained about Marc Guehi missing Carabao Cup final"
}