{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreih6ndmfpihlwsjr3gwms4cad2m5f3hbx6sjbhbxx4ueyw3jwmnk5m"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 76466
},
"path": "/news/world/germany-train-attack-conductor-beaten-death-migrant",
"publishedAt": "2026-02-05T05:57:53.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"Thieves steal £30million in extraordinary 'Ocean's Eleven' bank heist",
"Magdeburg Christmas market cancelled after last year's terror attack which killed six people",
"German mayor fighting for life after being 'attacked by multiple suspects'",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\nA train conductor has been beaten to death by a migrant fare dodger in Germany.\n\nThe fare dodger - a 26-year-old Greek man - attacked the 36-year-old Deutsche Bahn employee on Tuesday evening.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe conductor was doing a ticket check on a train near Kaiserslautern when a the man, with no known place of residence, began to beat him, according to eyewitnesses.\n\nThe conductor, named locally as Serkan C, was attended to by several passengers who saw the attack take place.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nFirst aid was attempted by onlookers as the police were called, and Serkan was rushed to hospital, where he died on Wednesday.\n\nDeutsche Bahn then held a minute’s silence that afternoon for the conductor, who is believed to have left behind a child and wife.\n\nThe moment of silence was attended by German Transport Minister Patrick Schnieder.\n\nHe said: \"It is terrible that a customer advisor has lost his life in the normal course of his work - killed by brute and senseless violence.\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nWitnesses told Germany’s Bild newspaper Serkan had been checking the tickets of a group of four people ranging between 20 and 30 years old before the attack.\n\nThis group of people included the alleged perpetrator, which led to an argument between the two men after he failed to produce a ticket.\n\nHe allegedly stood up and raised his fist.\n\nSerkan then attempted to calm the situation, but when he ordered the man to exit the train, the attack began.\n\n### READ MORE LIKE THIS FROM GERMANY:\n\n\n\n\n * Thieves steal £30million in extraordinary 'Ocean's Eleven' bank heist\n * Magdeburg Christmas market cancelled after last year's terror attack which killed six people\n * German mayor fighting for life after being 'attacked by multiple suspects'\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\nWitnesses told Bild that the victim was punched several times in the head, and police are continuing their investigation into the motive behind the attack.\n\nDeutsche Bahn CEO Evelyn Palla issued a statement condemning the attack.\n\nShe said: “This tragic death is incomprehensible and saddening to me. My deepest condolences go out to the family of Serkan C., his friends, and colleagues.\n\n“All of us at Deutsche Bahn condemn in the strongest possible terms this horrific act of violence and the completely senseless death of our colleague.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n“We must all ask ourselves why such outbreaks of violence keep happening. We—politicians, society—must provide answers.\n\n“Today is a dark day for all railway workers in the country. We at Deutsche Bahn are in mourning.”\n\nIt comes a week after an 18-year-old woman from Iran died in Hamburg after being dragged in front of an incoming train by a 25-year-old man from South Sudan.\n\nBoth people died in the incident.\n\nAccording to local media, he had already been arrested two days earlier relating to an incident in a brothel.\n\nHe was released after charge before the incident with the 18-year-old woman.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter **",
"title": "Train conductor beaten to death by homeless migrant fare dodger in Germany"
}