{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreihqyg7ia6xemh5m2rpnhbylkpdzwsnf2p6wd6zdqmdvsxv3zlyieq"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 61939
},
"path": "/news/world/new-start-treaty-nuclear-weapons-us-russia",
"publishedAt": "2026-02-05T00:59:59.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"atomic weapons treaty between the US and Russia",
"Fears Britain 'dangerously exposed' to attack with UK's nuclear strategy 30 years behind 'aggressive' Russia and China",
"Vladimir Putin tests NEW 'invincible' nuclear weapon in 15-hour, 9,000-mile missile flight",
"Nuclear weapons 'now justifiable' by Russia as new doctrine sparks serious concerns for the West",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\nA historic atomic weapons treaty between the US and Russia has expired - sparking what could be the dawn of a new nuclear era.\n\nThe Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty, known as New Start, was signed in 2010 - and limited the number of nuclear warheads between the two countries.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nVladimir Putin had proposed to keep observing the missile and warhead limits for another 12 months - a request Moscow claims the US has ignored.\n\nRussia said it was open to renewed talks on Wednesday.\n\nBut the Kremlin's Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov, who oversees arms control issues, said now was \"a new moment, a new reality\" and warned: \"We are ready for it.\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nIn a statement, the Russian Foreign Ministry said: “Essentially, our ideas are being deliberately ignored. This (US) approach appears mistaken and regrettable.”\n\nIt added Moscow intends to “responsibly and in a balanced manner”.\n\nOn Wednesday, the US-born Pope Leo issued an urgent appeal to maintain the treaty.\n\nAt his weekly audience, the Pontiff said: “It is more urgent than ever to replace the logic of fear and distrust with a shared ethic, capable of guiding choices toward the common good.”\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nLast month, Donald Trump told the New York Times: “If it expires, it expires… We'll just do a better agreement.”\n\nWashington has indicated a new treaty should include China, who have built up their nuclear arsenal.\n\nRussia has previously argued the nuclear caps should be extended to France and the UK.\n\nThe original Start treaty was signed in 1991 between the US and the Soviet Union, limiting their deployed nuclear warheads to 6,000.\n\n### NUCLEAR WEAPONS - READ MORE:\n\n\n\n\n * Fears Britain 'dangerously exposed' to attack with UK's nuclear strategy 30 years behind 'aggressive' Russia and China\n * Vladimir Putin tests NEW 'invincible' nuclear weapon in 15-hour, 9,000-mile missile flight\n * Nuclear weapons 'now justifiable' by Russia as new doctrine sparks serious concerns for the West\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nIt was followed in 2010 by the now-expired New Start deal which capped the number of deployed strategic nuclear warheads to 1,550 between the US and Russia, after the dissolution of the Soviet Union.\n\nThe deal had a time limit of 10 years, which was followed by an extension of five years in 2021.\n\nRussia had suspended the treaty three years ago as a result of the war in Ukraine, but Moscow was believed to still be abiding by the nuclear warhead limits.\n\nIn addition to the limit, it enforced curbs on weapon delivery platforms such as intercontinental ballistic missiles and heavy bombers.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nNew Start allowed the two countries to conduct short notice inspections of each other’s nuclear weapons facilities, and exchange data on the arms in the agreement.\n\nA number of long-standing arms control treaties have expired in recent years, such as the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Agreement, the Open Skies Treaty, and the Conventional Armed Forces in Europe Treaty.\n\nThe agreement was made to avoid the uncontrolled stockpile of nuclear weapons which some experts worry will now occur.\n\nIn a speech last year, Britain’s former head of the armed forces Admiral Sir Tony Rankin said the collapse of arm control agreements was “one of the most dangerous aspects of our current global security”.\n\nMatt Korda, associate director for the Nuclear Information Project at the Federation of American Scientists said without an extension to the agreement, there is nothing stopping either nation from adding to their nuclear weaponry.\n\nHe said: “Without the treaty, each side will be free to upload hundreds of additional warheads onto their deployed missiles and heavy bombers, roughly doubling the sizes of their currently deployed arsenals in the most maximalist scenario.”\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards:The GB News Editorial Charter **",
"title": "World enters grim new nuclear era after historic US-Russia atomic weapons treaty expires"
}