Israel intercepts Gaza-bound aid flotilla near Cyprus, organizers say activists abducted
Israeli forces intercepted the Global Sumud Flotilla, a Gaza-bound aid convoy of around 50 vessels that had sailed from Turkey, in international waters west of Cyprus on Monday. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called the mission a "malicious scheme" designed to break Israel's blockade of Gaza. Organizers said their volunteers had been abducted by Israeli forces.
What is the Global Sumud Flotilla and what happened when Israel intercepted it?
The Global Sumud Flotilla was an international aid convoy of around 50 ships that departed southwestern Turkey on Thursday before being intercepted by Israeli forces near Cyprus on May 18. Organizers said Israeli forces boarded the vessels illegally and detained the volunteers on board. The group described the interception as a violent act carried out in international waters.
What did Netanyahu say about the Gaza flotilla interception?
Netanyahu praised the commander of the interception force, telling him the operation was carried out with "outstanding success" and far less attention than Israel's enemies had anticipated. He framed the convoy as a deliberate effort to undermine Israel's blockade on Hamas-controlled Gaza. The Israeli foreign ministry had earlier condemned the convoy as a provocation, singling out Turkish groups Mavi Marmara and IHH, the latter designated by Israel as a terrorist organization.
Activist Suayb Ordu, who was aboard one of the vessels, told Turkish channel NTV that those on board had no choice but to surrender peacefully. "We are not going there to fight or commit acts of violence," he said. "We are trying to prove the opposite to the world."
Which countries had citizens on board the Gaza flotilla?
The detained group included nationals from multiple countries. Indonesian newspaper Republika reported that nine Indonesians were among those detained, including two of its journalists. Fifteen Irish citizens were on board, among them Margaret Connolly, sister of Irish President Catherine Connolly. A Polish citizen was also reported detained, and Australians were among those on the vessels, according to their respective media reports.
Margaret Connolly, in a video apparently recorded before her detention, said: "If you are watching this video, it means I have been kidnapped from my boat in the flotilla by the Israeli occupying forces." Spain condemned the interception, with Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares stating that no Israeli agent holds jurisdiction in those waters. Ankara called the operation a "new act of piracy."
How did Israel and Hamas respond to the flotilla interception?
The Israeli foreign ministry released footage showing activists embracing aboard an Israeli vessel after being removed from the flotilla. Ministry spokesman Oren Marmorstein told journalists that no aid had been found on the boats at that point. The ministry rejected claims of aid shortages in Gaza, stating that more than 1.58 million tons of humanitarian aid had entered the territory since October alone.
Hamas political bureau member Bassem Naim condemned the interception as "state terrorism and systematic undermining of the entire international order." Gaza has faced severe shortages of food, medicine, and essential supplies throughout the war, which was triggered by Hamas's October 2023 attack on Israel. Israel controls all entry points into Gaza and has maintained a blockade on the territory since 2007.
Has Israel intercepted Gaza flotillas before?
The Global Sumud Flotilla is the latest in a series of attempts by activists to breach Israel's maritime blockade of Gaza. A previous flotilla was intercepted last month in international waters off Greece, with most activists subsequently expelled to Europe. Israel's relations with both Turkey and Spain have been strained since the Gaza war began, and both countries have been vocal critics of the blockade.
Discussion in the ATmosphere