{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreibwrxxentwmxidfbeyl35ed7ze6anyfomdirifndtbp4fd63avrxq",
"uri": "at://did:plc:neqfhinxgjyy6qagpbcb6wfe/app.bsky.feed.post/3mlfafebdy6v2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreickqd4lkkxlvzm6lr2rzip5a3gd7wdi62wc74gx2odoswvnafebgi"
},
"mimeType": "image/png",
"size": 311089
},
"path": "/partner/saudi-arabia-banned-us-bases",
"publishedAt": "2026-05-08T15:26:32.000Z",
"site": "https://nukta.com",
"tags": [
"Washington's decision",
"ceasefire with Iran remained"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\n\nSaudi Arabia prohibited the United States from using its airspace and military bases to support its short-lived bid to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, two Saudi sources told AFP on Friday. The kingdom's refusal contributed to Washington's decision to pause \"Project Freedom,\" a two-day-old operation to escort ships through the strait.\n\n#### Why did Saudi Arabia ban U.S. forces from using its bases and airspace?\n\nSaudi Arabia blocked U.S. access to its bases and airspace because it believed the operation would escalate regional tensions without achieving its goal. \"Saudi Arabia was against the operation because it felt it would just escalate the situation and would not work,\" one source told AFP. The kingdom has a long-standing policy against allowing its territory to be used for attacks on Iran.\n\n#### What was Project Freedom in the Strait of Hormuz?\n\nU.S. President Donald Trump announced a pause in Project Freedom earlier this week after a confrontation with Iran strained a fragile ceasefire. The operation aimed to guide commercial ships through the Strait of Hormuz. A flare-up between U.S. and Iranian forces preceded the suspension, with both sides trading blame over who fired first.\n\n#### Did Saudi Arabia's ban affect all U.S. military access?\n\nThe two sources, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive matters, said Washington's access to Saudi bases and airspace would continue for purposes unrelated to the Hormuz operation. Saudi Arabia \"did not allow flights for operation Freedom,\" one source said. The restriction was specific to Project Freedom, not a broader suspension of the U.S. military presence.\n\n#### What is Saudi Arabia's position on de-escalation with Iran?\n\nOn Friday morning, Saudi Arabia's Deputy Minister for Public Diplomacy Rayed Krimly stated the kingdom \"maintains its position supporting de-escalation and negotiations efforts\" in a social media post. The comments came as Trump confirmed the ceasefire with Iran remained in place despite an Iranian attack on three American destroyers in the strait. The U.S. military said it struck Iranian military targets in response, while Tehran maintained that Washington had initiated the exchange.",
"title": "Saudi Arabia banned US use of bases and airspace for Hormuz operation, sources say"
}