External Publication
Visit Post

Iran's Araghchi slams European countries for 'unconstructive' approach on nuclear program

Nukta [Unofficial] May 3, 2026
Source

Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has condemned some European nations for what he called an "unconstructive and irresponsible" approach toward Tehran's nuclear program.

The rebuke came in a phone call with his Italian counterpart on Saturday, as U.S. President Donald Trump cast fresh doubt over a new Iranian peace proposal and an Iranian military official warned renewed fighting was "likely."

What did Araghchi say about Europe's approach to Iran's nuclear program?

Araghchi criticized certain European countries for repeating what he described as "incorrect clichés" about Iran's peaceful nuclear activities, calling the approach both unconstructive and irresponsible, according to Press TV.

He urged those governments to instead condemn U.S. and Israeli military strikes against Iran and hold them accountable for violations of international humanitarian law.

He also pressed European capitals to play a responsible role in ceasefire and diplomatic efforts.

What did Trump say about the Iran peace proposal?

Meanwhile, Trump said he would review the plan but could not imagine it would be acceptable because Iran had not "paid a big enough price" for its actions over the past 47 years.

He stopped short of rejecting it outright, leaving open the possibility of further military action if Tehran "misbehaves." The warning came via his Truth Social platform Saturday.

What does Iran's 14-point peace proposal include?

Iran's Tasnim and Fars news agencies reported that Tehran submitted the 14-point proposal to mediator Pakistan.

The plan covers ending the conflict on all fronts and establishing a new framework for the Strait of Hormuz, a critical chokepoint Iran has controlled since the war began. One failed round of peace talks has already taken place in Pakistan.

Iran's deputy foreign minister, Kazem Gharibabadi, told diplomats in Tehran that "the ball is in the United States' court to choose the path of diplomacy or the continuation of the confrontational approach." Iran, he said, was "prepared for both paths."

A senior figure in Iran's central military command, Mohammad Jafar Asadi, said a renewed conflict was "likely," citing what he described as Washington's failure to honor its commitments.

Could US military strikes against Iran resume?

Trump declined to specify what action would trigger a new strike but told reporters in West Palm Beach, Florida, that military action remained "a possibility." His envoy Steve Witkoff had earlier asked for Iran's nuclear program to be returned to the negotiating table, according to Axios.

Iran's UN mission responded by accusing Washington of "hypocritical behavior" over its stance on Tehran's atomic program, arguing there was no legal restriction on uranium enrichment conducted under IAEA supervision.

How has the Strait of Hormuz become central to the conflict?

Iran has maintained a stranglehold on the Strait of Hormuz since the war began, cutting off major flows of oil, gas and fertilizer to the world economy. The United States imposed a counter-blockade on Iranian ports in response. Oil prices are now roughly 50 percent above pre-war levels.

Iran's parliament is considering draft legislation that would direct 30 percent of tolls collected on the waterway toward military infrastructure, with the remainder earmarked for economic development. The vice speaker of parliament, Ali Nikzad, said managing the strait was "more important than acquiring nuclear weapons."

What is the war's economic impact inside Iran?

Iran's economy is deteriorating sharply, with oil exports crimped and inflation surging past 50 percent. Many residents have drawn down savings, including gold and foreign currency held as emergency reserves.

"Everyone is trying to endure it, but they are falling apart," said Amir, a 40-year-old Tehran resident who spoke to an AFP reporter based outside the country.

What is happening in Lebanon amid the broader conflict?

Fighting continued Saturday in Lebanon, where Israel carried out strikes despite a separate truce with the Iran-backed armed group Hezbollah. The Israeli military said it targeted dozens of Hezbollah positions across southern Lebanon after issuing evacuation warnings for nine villages.

Lebanon's state-run National News Agency reported three deaths. One strike hit the village of Yaroun, damaging what the Israeli military described as a "religious building." French Catholic charity L'Oeuvre d'Orient said the site was a convent belonging to the Salvatorian Sisters, a Greek-Catholic religious order.

Has Trump sought congressional approval for the war?

In Washington, lawmakers are debating whether Trump missed a deadline to seek congressional authorization for the conflict. Administration officials argue the ceasefire paused a 60-day clock that would otherwise require a congressional vote.

Opposition Democrats dispute that interpretation, setting up a potential constitutional confrontation over the war's legal basis.

Discussion in the ATmosphere

Loading comments...