Trump says he is 'not satisfied' with Iran's new proposal as US-Iran peace talks remain frozen
U.S. President Donald Trump said Friday he was "not satisfied" with a new Iranian negotiating proposal, as peace talks between the two sides remain frozen despite a weeks-long ceasefire. Iran had delivered the text of the proposal to mediator Pakistan on Thursday evening, the IRNA news agency reported, without disclosing its contents.
Why is Trump not satisfied with Iran's peace proposal?
Trump told reporters that Iran was "asking for things that I can't agree to," citing "tremendous discord" within Tehran's leadership as complicating factor in negotiations. He said multiple factions within Iran appeared willing to reach a deal, but the internal divisions were blocking progress. The White House declined to comment on the specific details of the new proposal.
What did Trump say about military options against Iran?
When asked about next steps, Trump framed the choice as either striking Iran or pursuing a deal. "Do we want to go and just blast the hell out of them and finish them forever, or do we want to try and make a deal?" he said. He added that he would prefer not to take military action "on a human basis."
Trump also insisted on Friday that the United States was "in the midst of a big victory," even as the conflict remains unresolved and domestic pressure over the war grows ahead of November's midterm elections.
What is the U.S. demanding in Iran nuclear talks?
News site Axios reported that US envoy Steve Witkoff had earlier this week submitted amendments to a previous proposal, seeking to bring Iran's nuclear program back into the negotiations. Citing a source familiar with the matter, Axios said the amendments included a demand that Iran not move enriched uranium out of sites bombed during the war, or resume any activity at those sites while talks continue. The nuclear issue had previously been set aside in earlier rounds of diplomacy.
How are markets reacting to the Iran peace talks?
News of the Iranian proposal initially sent oil prices falling by nearly five percent for U.S. benchmark West Texas Intermediate. Prices remain roughly 50 percent above their pre-war levels, however, as traders factor in the prolonged closure of the Strait of Hormuz. An EU official confirmed that the bloc's foreign affairs chief Kaja Kallas spoke with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi by phone Friday about diplomatic efforts to reopen the waterway.
What are Iranians saying about the stalled negotiations?
A Tehran resident named Amir told AFP that the current stalemate "feels like we are stuck in purgatory." The 40-year-old said he held little hope for the new proposal, predicting the U.S. and Israel would "attack again." Iran's judiciary chief Gholamhossein Mohseni Ejei said Friday that Tehran had never shied away from negotiations, but would not accept policy imposition.
What new sanctions has the U.S. imposed on Iran?
The U.S. imposed new sanctions Friday on three Iranian foreign currency exchange firms. The Treasury also warned that paying a toll to Tehran for safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz could trigger sanctions against other parties. The US military said its blockade had already stopped Iran from exporting $6 billion worth of oil, while inflation inside Iran has risen past 50 percent in recent weeks.
What is happening with efforts to reopen the Strait of Hormuz?
The United States confirmed Thursday it was launching its own international coalition to restart shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, separate from a European-led effort. France and Britain have been building a coalition of dozens of countries to reopen the strait, but only after peace is secured. French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot said the US mission was "not of the same nature" as the European one, and would serve as a complement to it.
The USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier has also left the Middle East following operations against Iran, a US official confirmed Friday, though two other carriers remain in the region.
Discussion in the ATmosphere