Putin vows to do ‘everything’ for Middle East peace as Iran blames US for stalled talks
Russian President Vladimir Putin pledged full support for Middle East peace during talks with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in Saint Petersburg on Monday. The meeting came as U.S.-Iran negotiations appeared to stall, with Araghchi blaming Washington's "excessive demands" for derailing talks held in Pakistan earlier this month.
What did Putin say to Iran's foreign minister about Middle East peace?
Putin told Araghchi that Moscow would do "everything" to serve Iran's interests and those of the broader region. The pledge signals Russia's continued role as a diplomatic partner for Tehran at a moment when US-Iran contacts have faltered. Putin also said he had received a message from Iran's Supreme Leader.
📸 In photos: Meeting between Iran's FM Araghchi and Russian President Putin in St. Petersburg
Follow: https://t.co/mLGcUTS2ei pic.twitter.com/UQrWADF978 — Press TV 🔻 (@PressTV) April 27, 2026
What did Iran's foreign minister say about the war with the US?
Araghchi used the Saint Petersburg meeting to assert that the war with the United States and Israel had exposed Iran's resilience. According to Russian state TV, he said the conflict had shown "the world has now realized Iran's true power" and that "the Islamic republic of Iran is a stable, solid and powerful system." He added that Russia had stood by Iran throughout the war, and that the two countries would continue their "strategic partnership."
Why did U.S.-Iran talks in Pakistan fail?
Araghchi said the previous round of negotiations made progress but fell short of its goals due to what he described as excessive American demands. The talks in Islamabad had raised hopes for renewed diplomacy over the weekend. Those hopes faded after President Donald Trump canceled a planned visit by envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner.
More videos from the meeting between Iran's FM Araghchi and Russian President Putin in St. Petersburg.
Follow: https://t.co/mLGcUTS2ei pic.twitter.com/c61U9BmpI0 — Press TV 🔻 (@PressTV) April 27, 2026
Trump told Fox News that if Iran wanted talks, "they can come to us, or they can call us." The statement suggested Washington was unwilling to resume shuttle diplomacy on Tehran's terms. Regional mediators had sought to keep U.S.-Iran contacts on track, but the cancellation of the Witkoff-Kushner trip signaled a hardening of the American position.
What is at stake in the Strait of Hormuz?
Araghchi said that "safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz is an important global issue," as the United States and Iran maintain rival blockades in the strategic waterway. The strait handles a significant share of global oil shipments, making any disruption a concern for international markets. His remarks underlined how the nuclear dispute is increasingly tied to broader regional security questions.
Araghchi arrived in Saint Petersburg after stops in Oman and Islamabad as part of a regional shuttle diplomacy effort. The tour failed to produce a breakthrough with Washington. Trump was separately set to hold talks with top national security advisers on the Iran situation, U.S. media reported.
Discussion in the ATmosphere