Israel strikes south Lebanon after evacuation warning, risking fragile ceasefire
Lebanon’s state media said Israel’s military began striking the country’s south on Sunday after issuing evacuation warnings for seven locations, despite an ongoing ceasefire with the Iran-backed Hezbollah group.
“Israeli warplanes launched a strike” in Kfar Tibnit – one of the locations included in the warning – the state-run National News Agency reported, adding there were reports of casualties.
Under the terms of the ceasefire, Israel reserves the right to act against “planned, imminent or ongoing attacks.”
Israel’s military has carried out repeated strikes in Lebanon since the truce came into force on April 17. Its troops are also operating inside an Israeli-declared “yellow line” near the border, where Lebanese residents have been warned not to return.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Hezbollah’s actions were threatening the ceasefire, pledging to “vigorously” target the group.
“It must be understood that Hezbollah’s violations are, in practice, dismantling the ceasefire,” Netanyahu said during a weekly cabinet meeting.
Under the truce, recently extended, Israel says it can respond to “planned, imminent or ongoing attacks” and has been striking targets in south Lebanon almost daily.
“We are acting vigorously in accordance with arrangements agreed with the United States and, incidentally, also with Lebanon,” Netanyahu said.
“This means freedom of action not only to respond to attacks, which is obvious, but also to pre-empt immediate threats and even emerging threats.”
Shortly after Netanyahu’s remarks, Israel’s military said it intercepted three drones before they could enter Israeli territory.
Earlier Sunday, the Israeli military issued evacuation orders for residents of seven villages in south Lebanon ahead of planned strikes targeting Hezbollah positions.
Lebanon’s National News Agency reported multiple strikes on villages in the south, particularly in Zawtar al-Sharqiyah, where “an Israeli enemy drone hit a motorcycle.”
The agency also reported shelling on several border villages since early Sunday.
Lebanon’s health ministry said seven people were killed on Saturday in Israeli strikes, revising an earlier toll of six.
U.S. President Donald Trump had on Thursday announced that a 10-day ceasefire, which began on April 17, had been extended for three weeks.
Tehran-backed Hezbollah drew Lebanon into the Middle East war on March 2 by firing rockets at Israel to avenge the death of Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei in U.S.-Israeli strikes.
Israel responded with airstrikes and a ground invasion in southern Lebanon.
Discussion in the ATmosphere