Turkish minister says Iran nuclear issue could be resolved in Pakistan talks
Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said he believes issues surrounding Iran’s nuclear program could be resolved through ongoing talks in Pakistan, signaling cautious optimism over ongoing diplomatic efforts.
Speaking to reporters in London, Fidan said Turkey would have “no problem” participating in mine-clearing operations under a post-agreement framework, according to Reuters. He added that Ankara would reassess its position if any future technical coalition became directly involved in renewed hostilities.
Fidan said such demining efforts would be carried out by a multinational technical team formed after a potential Iran–U.S. peace deal, underscoring the tentative nature of post-conflict planning.
His remarks come as diplomatic activity intensifies around indirect Iran–U.S. engagement, with Washington and Tehran both signaling differing expectations ahead of renewed contacts.
US envoys head to Pakistan
Iran’s defense ministry said on Saturday that the United States was seeking a “face-saving” exit from the conflict as U.S. envoys travelled to Pakistan for fresh peace discussions.
“Our military power today is a dominant force, and the enemy is looking for a face-saving way to escape the war quagmire it has become trapped in,” state-affiliated ISNA quoted a ministry spokesperson as saying.
The comments coincided with the departure of U.S. emissaries Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner for Islamabad, although Iranian officials indicated that direct negotiations remained unlikely.
The White House said the envoys would seek an “in-person conversation” with Iranian representatives, while Iranian state media maintained that any engagement would likely be indirect, with Pakistan acting as a channel for communication.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi arrived in Islamabad on Friday. Pakistan’s foreign ministry said he would discuss “ongoing efforts for regional peace and stability” with local officials, without confirming any direct contact with the U.S. delegation.
A spokesperson for Iran said Araghchi would continue his diplomatic tour in Oman and Russia after Pakistan, as part of broader consultations on ending the conflict launched by Israel and the United States on February 28.
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said the engagement followed Iranian outreach and was aimed at “moving the ball forward towards a deal,” adding that Vice President JD Vance, who previously led talks in Islamabad that ended without agreement, remained on standby.
Despite intensified diplomacy, it remained unclear whether Iranian and U.S. officials would meet directly during the Pakistan visit.
Regional tensions persist as Lebanon ceasefire tested
Meanwhile, tensions continued across the region. Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon killed six people on Friday, according to the Lebanese health ministry, despite U.S. President Donald Trump announcing a three-week extension to a ceasefire.
Trump expressed optimism about prospects for a broader peace arrangement following meetings with Israeli and Lebanese representatives, though efforts to stabilise the wider conflict remain fragile.
EU says reopening Hormuz ‘vital’
Diplomatic efforts have been complicated by a continued standoff over maritime access, with negotiations slowing after Iran refused to re-engage while a U.S. naval blockade on its ports remains in place.
In response, Tehran has restricted shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, allowing only limited passage through the strategic waterway and disrupting global oil and liquefied natural gas flows.
Oil prices eased on Friday amid hopes that renewed diplomacy could help restore stability to global energy markets.
European Council President Antonio Costa said the strait “must immediately reopen without restrictions and without tolling,” describing it as “vital for the entire world.”
Financial markets reacted positively, with major Wall Street indices closing at record highs as investors welcomed strong corporate earnings and prospects of renewed negotiations.
The United States, meanwhile, continued to reinforce its regional military presence with the deployment of a third aircraft carrier, the USS George H.W. Bush, to the Middle East.
Lebanon diplomacy gathers pace amid divisions
Separately, diplomatic momentum around Lebanon has accelerated, with Trump signalling support for a potential three-way meeting involving Israeli and Lebanese leaders — an unusual prospect given the two countries have technically remained at war for decades.
However, internal divisions within Lebanon remain deep. Mohammed Raad, head of Hezbollah’s parliamentary bloc, urged the government to avoid direct negotiations with Israel, warning that any U.S.-backed agreement would lack national consensus.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said efforts were underway to achieve what he called a “historic peace” with Lebanon, while accusing Hezbollah of attempting to derail the process.
“We have started a process to reach a historic peace between Israel and Lebanon, and it’s clear to us that Hezbollah is trying to sabotage this,” he said.
On the ground, the human cost of the conflict remains stark. In the southern Lebanese city of Tyre, Mohamad Ali Hijazi sifted through the rubble of his home after an Israeli airstrike just before the ceasefire took effect.
“I’m trying to find my mother’s hairbrush… and a bottle of perfume that she loves,” said Hijazi, 48, who lives in France.
“My life has been destroyed. I haven’t slept for five days,” he said, struggling to contain his emotions.
Discussion in the ATmosphere