{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreidujydhotm77cxn4tfdqi5p3lcrw7sdfzlqz5odv4hmirf44ngitm",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:neqfhinxgjyy6qagpbcb6wfe/app.bsky.feed.post/3mjvhidhmyyi2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreiapy6ul6isaxb4mnsqyvvhs2fdnnj4xge4ioqxxvprqhq5wdw6smy"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/png",
    "size": 247207
  },
  "path": "/partner/iran-president-questions-us-nuclear-demands-as-hormuz-stays-shut",
  "publishedAt": "2026-04-19T10:55:45.000Z",
  "site": "https://nukta.com",
  "textContent": "\n\n\n\nIranian President Masoud Pezeshkian on Sunday questioned why Tehran should give up what he called its \"legal right\" to a nuclear program, as the Strait of Hormuz remained closed amid a standoff with the United States.\n\n\"How come the U.S. president declares that Iran should not use its nuclear rights but does not say why?\" a statement from the Iranian presidency quoted Pezeshkian as saying.\n\n\"How in the world is he trying to deprive a nation of its legal rights?\" he said.\n\nThe comments came as tensions continued over the strategic waterway linking the Gulf to global markets, and as negotiations between Tehran and Washington remained unresolved.\n\nIran said it would not reopen the Strait of Hormuz until the United States lifted its blockade of Iranian ports.\n\nMohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, speaker of Iran's parliament, said in a televised address Saturday night that there had been \"progress\" in talks with Washington, but that major differences remained.\n\n\"We are still far from the final discussion,\" said Ghalibaf, described as one of Tehran's senior negotiators in talks aimed at ending the conflict involving Israel, the United States and Iran.\n\nA two-week ceasefire is due to expire Wednesday unless extended.\n\nPresident Donald Trump said \"very good conversations\" were underway with Iran but warned Tehran against trying to \"blackmail\" the United States.\n\nOn Friday, Tehran had declared the strait open after a temporary ceasefire linked to fighting involving Hezbollah in Lebanon. The announcement had lifted markets and pushed oil prices lower.\n\nBut Iran reversed course after Trump said the U.S. blockade of Iranian ports would remain until a final agreement was reached.\n\n\"If America does not lift the blockade, traffic in the Strait of Hormuz will definitely be limited,\" Ghalibaf said.\n\nIran's Revolutionary Guards warned that any vessel attempting to pass through the strait without permission would be considered to be cooperating with the enemy and could be targeted.\n\nShipping traffic appeared sharply reduced. Tracking data showed only a handful of tankers crossed early Saturday during the brief reopening, while by Sunday morning the strait itself appeared empty.\n\nSeveral security incidents were also reported.\n\nA British maritime security agency said the Revolutionary Guards fired at one tanker. Security intelligence firm Vanguard Tech reported threats against an empty cruise ship leaving the Gulf.\n\nThe British agency also said a separate vessel was struck by an unknown projectile, damaging containers but causing no fire.\n\nIndia's foreign ministry said it had summoned the Iranian ambassador to protest a \"shooting incident\" involving two Indian-flagged ships in the strait.\n\nOn diplomacy, Egypt signaled optimism Saturday. Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty said Cairo and Islamabad hoped to secure a final agreement in the coming days.\n\nOne major sticking point remains Iran's stockpile of near-weapons-grade enriched uranium.\n\nTrump said Friday Iran had agreed to hand over about 440 kilograms of enriched uranium.\n\nIran's foreign ministry rejected that claim, saying the stockpile would not be transferred anywhere and that surrendering it to the United States had never been raised in negotiations.",
  "title": "Iran president questions US nuclear demands as Hormuz stays shut"
}