Trump says Iran cannot 'blackmail us' with Strait of Hormuz
U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday warned Iran not to “blackmail” Washington after Tehran again declared the Strait of Hormuz closed, escalating tensions over a critical global shipping route.
“We’re talking to them. They wanted to close up the Strait again … and they can’t blackmail us,” Trump said during an event at the White House.
He added that further announcements on Iran could come later in the day, saying: “We’re taking a tough stand.”
Iran’s military earlier said the strait — through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s crude oil and liquefied natural gas typically passes — had been shut again, reversing a brief reopening a day earlier.
The move has heightened concerns about global energy supplies and shipping disruptions, as the narrow waterway is a key transit point for exports from Gulf producers.
Rising tensions
The renewed closure underscores deepening friction between Washington and Tehran amid a broader regional conflict and competing naval measures in the Gulf.
Iran has previously signaled it could restrict access to the strait in response to pressure from the United States, while Washington has vowed to ensure freedom of navigation in the area.
Saturday’s developments add to uncertainty in global markets already rattled by weeks of instability in the region.
Discussion in the ATmosphere