External Publication
Visit Post

Trump says US forces yet to start 'destroying what's left' in Iran

Nukta [Unofficial] April 3, 2026
Source

US forces have yet to begin "destroying what's left in Iran," President Donald Trump warned late Thursday, as he said more of the country's bridges and energy infrastructure were in his sights.

The US military "hasn't even started destroying what's left in Iran. Bridges next, then Electric Power Plants!" Trump posted on his Truth Social platform, several hours after he said Iran's tallest bridge had been destroyed.

Trump has repeatedly stated that the vast majority of major military targets in Iran have already been damaged or destroyed over the past month of war.

Iran's "New Regime leadership knows what has to be done, and has to be done, FAST!" Trump said, seemingly referring to his call for Tehran to strike a deal with Washington that will bring about a ceasefire.

Meanwhile, Iran and its allies exchanged fire with Israel and the United States, as Washington-linked assets across the Middle East were targeted alongside civilian infrastructure. The month-long conflict showed little sign of easing Friday.

Strikes have increasingly focused on economic and industrial sites, raising concerns about broader disruptions to global energy supplies and extending the conflict’s impact beyond the battlefield.

Iran said its latest attacks targeted locations in the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, and Israel in retaliation for earlier US-Israeli strikes on its industrial facilities. The strikes included “American steel industries in Abu Dhabi, American aluminium industries in Bahrain, and the Rafael arms factories of the Zionist regime,” according to Iranian officials.

Israel’s military reported that its air defenses were active against missiles fired from Iran, though there were no immediate reports of casualties or damage.

Fresh explosions were also reported in the Tehran area, where state television said US-Israeli strikes hit a bridge in Karaj twice—the first strike caused civilian casualties, while the second hit as emergency teams were responding.

Trump, who on Wednesday threatened to bomb Iran “back to the Stone Ages,” maintained his hardline rhetoric on social media, saying the bridge had been sent “tumbling down” and promising “much more to follow.”

Repeated US and Israeli strikes have also forced the country’s two largest steel plants offline, companies said.

Meanwhile, Yemen’s Houthi rebels claimed a fourth attack on Israel, firing a “barrage of ballistic missiles” at targets in the Tel Aviv area.

Despite the bombardment in Iran, families gathered in Tehran’s Melat Park to mark the 13th day of Nowruz, the Persian New Year, with men smoking water pipes and children playing outdoors. Checkpoints manned by Revolutionary Guards have increased across the city.

“They gather in the streets in order to show people that they are still in power and nothing is gonna change,” said a 30-year-old resident, who requested anonymity.

In Israel, Passover celebrations continued, though some took refuge underground. “This is not my first choice,” said a writer named Jeffrey at a meal in a Tel Aviv bunker.

Strait tensions

The conflict has intensified pressure on global shipping, with the Strait of Hormuz—a key route for one-fifth of the world’s oil—effectively closed by Iran. British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper convened 40 countries to demand its “immediate and unconditional” reopening, while Italy called for a humanitarian corridor to prevent a food crisis in Africa.

Tehran said it was drafting a post-war framework with Oman to oversee maritime traffic, though talks have not yet begun. The head of the Gulf Cooperation Council, Jasem Mohamed AlBudaiwi, called for UN support to protect shipping through the strait, warning that Iran had blocked commercial vessels and imposed passage conditions. Bahrain proposed a draft UN Security Council resolution authorizing the use of force to ensure free transit, though the US-backed measure has divided members ahead of a vote.

Against this backdrop, Trump warned that further strikes could target Iran’s energy infrastructure if no deal is reached. “We have our eyes on key targets,” he said, while suggesting Tehran’s new leadership could be “more reasonable” in potential negotiations. Iran, however, dismissed US overtures as “maximalist and irrational,” saying messages had been passed through intermediaries but no direct talks were underway.

Iran’s health ministry said the Pasteur Institute, a century-old medical center in Tehran, was heavily damaged in a strike. In Lebanon, Iran-backed militant group Hezbollah said it launched drones and rockets at northern Israel, a day after an Israeli strike in Beirut killed a senior commander, leaving seven people dead according to Lebanese authorities.

Eighteen European countries urged both sides to halt fighting amid fears Israel could seize territory in southern Lebanon. Amy Pope, head of the International Organization for Migration, warned of “very alarming” risks of prolonged displacement.

Global shock

The war’s economic impact is rippling far beyond the Middle East. Gulf states once seen as safe havens now face direct threats. Air defenses in the UAE intercepted missiles and drones, while global markets reacted nervously to the escalation.

Oil prices surged to around $110 a barrel Thursday after Trump warned of further strikes, even as equity markets struggled for direction. Analysts said the president’s remarks offered no clarity on an exit strategy, with Deutsche Bank’s Jim Reid noting there was “no signal of the US seeking an imminent off-ramp.”

The World Bank warned of mounting risks to inflation, jobs, and food security worldwide. Airlines in China have raised fuel surcharges, while Malaysia has asked civil servants to work from home. Iraq’s oil revenues have plunged more than 70 percent month-on-month, officials said. Pakistan sharply raised fuel prices, with petrol up more than 40 percent and diesel over 50 percent, in response to the global energy shock.

Even Bhutan is feeling the strain, with fuel shortages triggering long queues in Thimphu. “We are helpless,” said resident Karma Kalden.

Discussion in the ATmosphere

Loading comments...