{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreidam4iq42vis6eloelb2tix23po5s2o5cyhoojx3dfzyqh5qg4l3i",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:neqfhinxgjyy6qagpbcb6wfe/app.bsky.feed.post/3mgvoj3tczez2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreiery4ynocbbmc3n74smohwdkyucb67pt4iiuzdzy3bqqk2bcciafm"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 114554
  },
  "path": "/temporary-ceasefire-observed-at-pakistan-afghanistan-border",
  "publishedAt": "2026-03-12T16:10:27.000Z",
  "site": "https://nukta.com",
  "textContent": "\n\n\n\nA temporary ceasefire was observed along the Pakistan–Afghanistan border after a local tribal council, or jirga, convened to identify a body found at the crossing on Thursday, officials said.\n\nThe deceased is believed to have been killed during recent clashes. Security sources said the body had been lying at the Torkham border for several days, prompting tribal elders from both sides to form a jirga to identify the deceased and coordinate with authorities.\n\n“The jirga requested a temporary ceasefire to reach the site,” said Mufti Ijaz Shinwari, head of the Pakistani jirga. “A halt in firing was ensured for a couple of hours following the request.”\n\nThe council included more than eight members. The Pakistani delegation comprised Shinwari, Shah Khalid, Murad Hussain, and Malik Taj. The Afghan side was represented by Haji Mastyar, Malik Mualla Khan, and Malik Hilmand.\n\nMufti Ijaz said all jirga members reached the site and, after examination, concluded the body appeared to be that of an Afghan laborer. Afghan members agreed but declined to receive the body immediately, citing the need to consult the Afghan Taliban.\n\n“We have requested the forces of both countries to observe another one-hour ceasefire tomorrow so the body can be removed from the site,” he said. If the Afghan side again refuses, the body may be buried in Landi Kotal, in Pakistan’s Khyber district.\n\nLocal residents reported no firing during the temporary ceasefire, but clashes could resume now that the deadline has expired.\n\n### Timeline of clashes\n\nThe recent clashes began on February 26 after both sides resumed heavy gunfire following a Pakistani airstrike in Afghanistan targeting a suspected cross-border terrorist network.\n\nBoth sides claimed casualties and the capture of multiple posts. Pakistan reported over 640 Taliban fighters killed and 850 injured, asserting that militants operate from Afghan territory—a claim Kabul denies.\n\nTensions trace back to a series of explosions in Kabul on October 9, 2025, which prompted Taliban forces to attack areas along Pakistan’s border.\n\nIslamabad responded with cross-border shelling, causing casualties and damage, and temporarily suspending trade when border crossings closed on October 12.\n\nSince then, Pakistan and Afghanistan’s Taliban government have held multiple rounds of negotiations in Qatar and Turkey, but talks have so far failed to produce a resolution.",
  "title": "Temporary ceasefire observed at Pakistan–Afghanistan border"
}