External Publication
Visit Post

Iran strikes back at Israel, US bases across Middle East after Israeli, American attacks

Nukta [Unofficial] February 28, 2026
Source

Several Gulf Arab states said they were targeted by Iranian missiles on Saturday after Tehran pledged to retaliate against strikes by the United States and Israel, bringing conflict to a part of the Arab world that prides itself on relative safety.

The latest confrontation marks one of the most direct exchanges between Tehran and Washington in years, with multiple Gulf states reporting missile activity in their airspace as the situation rapidly evolved.

View this post on Instagram A post shared by Nukta Pakistan (@nukta.pakistan)

The Israeli military said a new wave of missiles had been launched from Iran toward Israel, as hostilities between the two countries continued alongside the broader regional fallout.

Meanwhile, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) declared that all US bases, resources and interests throughout the region were considered legitimate targets for the Iranian army, underscoring Tehran’s readiness to expand the scope of its retaliation.

View this post on Instagram A post shared by Nukta Pakistan (@nukta.pakistan)

State media in the United Arab Emirates said one person had been killed in Abu Dhabi, but gave no details.

Kuwait, Qatar, the UAE, and Jordan, all of which have a U.S. military presence, said they had intercepted the Iranian missiles.

"All occupied territories and the criminal U.S. bases in the region have been struck by the powerful blows of Iranian missiles. This operation will continue relentlessly until the enemy is decisively defeated," Iran's Revolutionary Guards said.

Loud booms, grey smoke

Bahrain confirmed an attack inside its territory and said a service center of the U.S. Fifth Fleet had been struck. Video from a Reuters witness showed a plume of grey smoke rising near the small island nation's coast as sirens wailed.

Loud booms were heard across Abu Dhabi, according to five witnesses, including two Reuters correspondents. Some residents received a phone alert telling them to shelter in the closest secure building and stay away from windows because of missile threats.

One witness told Reuters she heard five booms in rapid succession that caused windows in a house near Abu Dhabi's Corniche to vibrate.

Other witnesses in the Al Dhafra and Bateen areas heard loud booms as well. Fighter jets could be seen flying around the Yas Island area of Abu Dhabi on Saturday afternoon.

In Qatar, the military said in a statement that it had intercepted incoming Iranian missiles before they reached Qatari territory after "joint coordination".

Several successive waves of blasts were heard in the Qatari capital Doha. The U.S. Embassy issued a warning to take shelter in Doha, but many residents carried on their usual activities.

Shoppers were in supermarkets, beachgoers headed to the seaside and a yellow double-decker tour bus filled with tourists drove through the city's West Bay district.

Later, when the government pushed a shelter-in-place warning to mobile phones, fewer people were seen out in the streets and traffic thinned.

Air travel impacted across region

Several regional countries, including Iran, Israel, Iraq, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, closed or partially restricted their airspace as hostilities escalated, with civilian flights largely grounded to prioritize safety amid heightened missile and military activity over the region.

Airlines such as Qatar Airways reported temporary suspension of flights to and from Doha, while the UAE’s General Civil Aviation Authority said the temporary closure of parts of its airspace has impacted operations for carriers including FlyDubai and Air Arabia.

Flight tracking data showed airspace over Iran and Iraq almost empty, with planes being rerouted or grounded as authorities and airlines monitor the volatile situation.

The fallout has extended beyond the Middle East, with major foreign airlines and governments adjusting operations and travel plans.

The Russian Ministry of Transport announced that Russian air carriers have suspended flights to Iran and Israel amid the closure of their airspace, and issued safety guidance recommending alternative routes for flights to the Gulf states.

European carriers such as Air France-KLM, Lufthansa, Iberia and Wizz Air have also cancelled or rerouted flights to Israel, the UAE and other affected countries, while other airline groups and national carriers continue to assess evolving risks before resuming services.

Pakistan airline also suspends flight operations

Amid the rapidly evolving situation in the Middle East, Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) suspended its flight operations to several Gulf countries as a precautionary measure.

According to a spokesperson for PIA, flights to the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Doha, and Kuwait have been temporarily suspended. The flights will not operate initially until tomorrow evening or until the restoration of normal airspace conditions, whichever comes later.

However, PIA’s operations to Saudi Arabia will continue.

The airline has revised the flight routes for these services, and operations will now be conducted using Boeing 777 aircraft. Due to the rerouted and longer flight paths, travel time to destinations is expected to increase.

Passengers have been advised to stay updated regarding their flight schedules and to contact the PIA call center at 786-786-111-021 for timely information or booking changes.

The spokesperson emphasized that passenger safety remains the airline’s top priority.

Discussion in the ATmosphere

Loading comments...