External Publication
Visit Post

Trump halts Iran strikes at last minute, claims ceasefire

Advocate.com [Unofficial] April 7, 2026
Source

President Donald Trump said Tuesday evening that he would suspend U.S. military strikes on Iran for two weeks, announcing the pause less than 90 minutes before an 8 p.m. Eastern deadline he had set for mass bombing in the country.

Keep up with the latest in LGBTQ****+ news and politics.**** Sign up for The Advocate's email newsletter.

The decision followed a day of mounting concern in Washington and beyond after Trump warned that “a whole civilization will die tonight,” prompting alarm from lawmakers and escalating fears of imminent military action.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump said the pause came after conversations with Pakistan’s prime minister, Shehbaz Sharif, and the country’s army chief, Asim Munir, who he said urged him to delay what he described as “destructive force” being prepared for deployment.

Related : Donald Trump telegraphs war crimes in profanity-filled Easter Sunday Iran threat

Related : Donald Trump threatens genocide in Iran: ‘A whole civilization will die tonight’

Trump Truth Social PostTruth Social

Trump said the suspension is contingent on Iran agreeing to the “complete, immediate, and safe opening” of the Strait of Hormuz. He described the move as a “double sided CEASEFIRE” and claimed U.S. military objectives had already been “met and exceeded.”

Related : Rachel Maddow urges Americans to consider ‘Who benefits?’ from Trump’s war with Iran

He also said the United States had received a “10 point proposal” from Iran that he called “a workable basis” for a broader agreement, adding that “almost all” major points of contention had already been resolved and that the two-week pause would allow a deal to be finalized.

Iranian officials have agreed to a conditional ceasefire framework outlined by Trump.

A statement from Iran’s Supreme National Security Council and shared by Trump said Tehran would halt its “defensive operations” if attacks against it stop, outlining a reciprocal ceasefire framework. The statement, attributed to Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi, also said safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz would be allowed for two weeks under coordination with Iran’s armed forces.

Advocacy groups quickly urged lawmakers not to rely on Trump’s announcement. Indivisible co-executive director Leah Greenberg said Congress must act to rein in the president, warning that “no member of Congress should trust any ‘ceasefire’ announced by Trump on social media.”

Greenberg added, “Congress must act immediately before Trump can do more damage." She is calling on congressional leaders to return from recess and pass a War Powers Resolution.

This story is developing and has been updated with additional reporting.

Discussion in the ATmosphere

Loading comments...