{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreicey3vyzunnbv5zpel7xazhx2ioz7inc5qflu6qh7lir52hu44bna",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:jpckpkvpjawehyqenhblotzo/app.bsky.feed.post/3mlaw5tg3vsr2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreiecu7hsyoc7pi6kycnzjnfjygcato7coevdpv7ucrovluyryd4yha"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 90549
  },
  "path": "/latest/ihc-adjourns-hearing-on-imran-khan-bushra-bibis-appeals-in-190m-case/",
  "publishedAt": "2026-05-07T08:58:41.000Z",
  "site": "https://humenglish.com",
  "tags": [
    "Latest",
    "Pakistan",
    "IHC adjourns hearing on Imran Khan, Bushra Bibi’s appeals in £190m case",
    "HUM News English"
  ],
  "textContent": "ISLAMABAD: The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Thursday accepted a request to adjourn hearing on appeals filed by former prime minister Imran Khan and his wife Bushra Bibi, granting a final chance to their lawyers to advance arguments.\n\nIHC Chief Justice Sarfraz Dogar said that the court was allowing the adjournment in view of the sensitivity of the case.\n\nHe directed that proceedings be moved forward at the next hearing.\n\n“Given the sensitivity of the case, we are granting this last opportunity,” he said, adding that steps should be taken to ensure the case proceeds without further delay.\n\nDuring the hearing, a counsel representing the petitioners sought adjournment, saying they had not received instructions to argue the appeals.\n\nNational Accountability Bureau (NAB) prosecutor Rafiq Masood objected, saying the defence was repeatedly seeking delays despite claiming to be ready for arguments in the media.\n\n“Should this be aired in the media or argued in court?” PTI lawyer Shoaib Shaheen responded.\n\nThe chief justice remarked on the exchange, noting the courtroom’s proceedings were being closely observed.\n\nPTI lawyer Fatahullah Barki told the court that directives of a previous larger bench were not being implemented, adding that scheduled meetings with the Imran Khan and Bushra Bibi had not taken place since the ruling.\n\nA NAB prosecution team appeared before the court, while lawyers for Khan and Bushra Bibi were absent.\n\nTheir counsel had earlier filed miscellaneous appeals seeking adjournment of the proceedings.\n\nThe bench later rose to its chambers after hearing initial arguments, with Chief Justice Dogar and Justice Mohammad Asif presiding over the case.\n\nThe founder of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) and his spouse are seeking to suspend their sentences pending a final decision on their central appeals.\n\nThe allegations against Imran Khan centre on claims that he and his wife secured land worth billions of rupees from property tycoon, Malik Riaz, in exchange for a deal that allegedly resulted in a loss of Rs50 billion (£190 million) to the national exchequer.\n\nThe funds, originally recovered by the UK’s National Crime Agency, were intended for the national treasury but were reportedly diverted to pay fines imposed on Malik Riaz for acquiring government land at below market value.\n\nThe couple, who serve as the sole trustees of the Al-Qadir Trust, are accused of benefitting from the settlement, which included the acquisition of 458 kanals of lands for Al-Qadir University in Jhelum.\n\nThe post IHC adjourns hearing on Imran Khan, Bushra Bibi’s appeals in £190m case appeared first on HUM News English.",
  "title": "IHC adjourns hearing on Imran Khan, Bushra Bibi’s appeals in £190m case"
}