{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreibgcvn6smv3yeucr7ixf3shddj7sol7y5mk5plw6qdo72zyjc3abq",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:jpckpkvpjawehyqenhblotzo/app.bsky.feed.post/3mkesfxifnq62"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreid35jce5ymi5owjfxgxbgmx6bebdorj4ucvftmpmogv5d75mhhyjm"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 148054
  },
  "path": "/latest/white-house-correspondents-dinner-shooting-president-trump-safe-suspect-arrested/",
  "publishedAt": "2026-04-26T03:53:38.000Z",
  "site": "https://humenglish.com",
  "tags": [
    "Latest",
    "World",
    "View this post on Instagram",
    "A post shared by HumNewsEnglish (@hum_news_english)",
    "White House Correspondents’ Dinner shooting: President Trump safe, suspect arrested",
    "HUM News English"
  ],
  "textContent": "A dramatic security incident unfolded Saturday night when gunfire erupted during the annual White House Correspondents’ Association dinner, sending hundreds of high-profile attendees scrambling for cover. US President Donald Trump was swiftly evacuated and later confirmed to be unharmed.\n\nThe event, attended by more than 2,600 guests, had just begun at the Washington Hilton when a loud noise, later identified as gunfire, triggered panic inside the ballroom. Witnesses described a chaotic scene as attendees ducked under tables while others shouted warnings.\n\nAccording to reports, President Trump had been discreetly alerted moments earlier after being handed a note, similar to one shown to White House spokesperson Caroline Levitt. Individuals seated near the president appeared visibly alarmed as the situation escalated.\n\nAgents from the United States Secret Service quickly moved in, escorting Trump and the First Lady out of the venue. Mike Johnson, along with several cabinet officials, was also evacuated under heavy security.\n\nEyewitness accounts described scenes of confusion and urgency. Guests dove under tables as armed security personnel in combat gear rushed into the room. Waitstaff fled toward exits, and security agents pushed senior officials, including Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Health Secretary Robert F Kennedy Jr, and Interior Secretary Doug Burgum, to the ground for protection. Armed agents later secured the stage, scanning the room while evacuations continued in phases.\n\nOne law enforcement officer was shot during the incident but survived due to wearing a bulletproof vest, officials said.\n\nAuthorities confirmed that the suspect was apprehended alive at the scene, correcting earlier conflicting reports that had claimed the attacker was killed. Investigations into the motive are ongoing.\n\nhttps://twitter.com/RapidResponse47/status/2048214847066644567\n\nThe event was ultimately canceled for the evening. President Trump later indicated it could be rescheduled within the next month.\n\n## TRUMP ADDRESSES INCIDENT AT PRESS CONFERENCE\n\nSpeaking at a press conference at the White House following the incident, President Trump described the suspect as a “would-be assassin” who was “armed with multiple weapons.”\n\nAccording to the president, the attacker managed to charge past a security checkpoint before being stopped. “One officer was shot but saved by the fact that he was wearing a, obviously, a very good bulletproof vest,” Trump said.\n\nhttps://twitter.com/RapidResponse47/status/2048243107053859242\n\nHe raised concerns about the security of the venue, noting that the Washington Hilton “is not a particularly secure building,” despite its long history of hosting major political events.\n\nTrump said he believed the suspect acted alone. “In my opinion, he was a lone wolf,” he stated, adding that there was no indication the attack was linked to international conflicts, including tensions involving Iran. He also described the suspect in blunt terms, calling him a “whack job.”\n\n> \n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\nView this post on Instagram\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n>\n> A post shared by HumNewsEnglish (@hum_news_english)\n\n\n\n\nWhen asked whether he believed he was the intended target, Trump responded, “I guess,” adding that the suspect “looked pretty evil when he was down.”\n\nThe president further revealed that federal agents were conducting a raid on the suspect’s home in California as part of the ongoing investigation.\n\nSources indicated that after being evacuated, Trump remained backstage at the venue for about an hour and was overheard saying, “We are staying,” before ultimately leaving the premises under Secret Service protection.\n\n## PM SHEHBAZ SHARIF EXPRESSES CONCERN\n\nPakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif expressed concern in a message posted on social media, saying he is “Deeply shocked by the disturbing shooting incident” and wishing President Trump “continued safety and well-being.”\n\nhttps://twitter.com/CMShehbaz/status/2048227698322108663\n\nAuthorities continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the attack as questions mount over security arrangements at one of Washington’s most prominent annual gatherings.\n\nThe post White House Correspondents’ Dinner shooting: President Trump safe, suspect arrested appeared first on HUM News English.",
  "title": "White House Correspondents’ Dinner shooting: President Trump safe, suspect arrested"
}