{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreiddif4ivmkfsajd4myfi4eoruyudhbwjm3ffz2xt62lqgyzp47ewu",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:jpckpkvpjawehyqenhblotzo/app.bsky.feed.post/3mj2mdghmkf22"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreifx2bukvuhshtrotztzk24plghfq4mwuypmuoijoakujntvfx6yhm"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 96228
  },
  "path": "/latest/al-aqsa-mosque-holy-sepulchre-reopen-after-israel-lifts-closure/",
  "publishedAt": "2026-04-09T09:30:49.000Z",
  "site": "https://humenglish.com",
  "tags": [
    "Latest",
    "World",
    "Al-Aqsa Mosque, Holy Sepulchre reopen after Israel lifts closure",
    "HUM News English"
  ],
  "textContent": "JERUSALEM: The Al-Aqsa Mosque compound and the nearby Church of the Holy Sepulchre in occupied East Jerusalem were reopened to worshippers on Thursday after a 40-day closure imposed by Israeli authorities amid regional conflict, officials said.\n\nIsraeli police said in a statement they “reopened the holy sites to worshippers and visitors starting Thursday morning, April 9,” following updated guidelines from the Home Front Command.\n\nThey said hundreds of police officers and border guards had been deployed across Jerusalem’s Old City and along access routes to the sites to ensure security for visitors.\n\nThe Islamic Waqf, the Jordanian-administered body overseeing the Al-Aqsa Mosque, said the compound would reopen for dawn prayers and that entry would be permitted for all worshippers, without providing further details.\n\nVideo footage from the site showed worshippers entering the compound early on Thursday, with thousands attending morning prayers after access had been largely restricted since late February.\n\nIsraeli authorities had closed the holy sites on February 28, citing security concerns and restrictions on gatherings during the ongoing regional conflict involving Israel and Iran, and its broader allies.\n\nThe closures also prevented Eid al-Fitr prayers at Al-Aqsa this year — the first such restriction since Israel occupied East Jerusalem in 1967 — underscoring the impact of the conflict on religious observances across the city.\n\nJerusalem’s holy sites, sacred to Muslims, Christians and Jews, have faced heightened security restrictions and periodic closures in recent weeks, disrupting major religious observances including Ramadan, Lent and Passover.\n\nIsraeli police said the decision to reopen the sites followed updated instructions from the Home Front Command, while emphasising that security forces would remain heavily deployed to manage access and maintain order.\n\nThe reopening comes as Orthodox Christians prepare to celebrate Easter on Sunday, following weeks of heightened tensions and restrictions across the region.\n\nAuthorities have frequently imposed access limitations on Palestinian worshippers at Al-Aqsa, particularly during periods of heightened political or security tensions.\n\nThe post Al-Aqsa Mosque, Holy Sepulchre reopen after Israel lifts closure appeared first on HUM News English.",
  "title": "Al-Aqsa Mosque, Holy Sepulchre reopen after Israel lifts closure"
}