{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreifgisrslv5yz7pd2lhuprdoeixxk7hwcxtfmh2al7akfpwxoorrsi",
"uri": "at://did:plc:ha7wpngv4f2qwrk5hta4ktbb/app.bsky.feed.post/3mi2rkabdecc2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreiabbyq36huif4uuvxtrzy6jrwhhkp7772bgmwyvnzor2vduvqjsqe"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 167140
},
"path": "/crime/2026/03/27/ex-dupage-county-prosecutor-sentenced-after-threatening-state-lawmakers-gun-control-groups-on-social-media",
"publishedAt": "2026-03-27T17:37:56.223Z",
"site": "https://chicago.suntimes.com",
"textContent": "<p>A former DuPage County prosecutor was sentenced earlier this month to home confinement and supervised release after pleading guilty to suggesting online that a bomb could go off at a downstate LGBTQ festival.</p><p>Samuel Cundari, 32, an assistant state’s attorney <a class=\"Link\" href=\"https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2024/05/24/dupage-county-threats-state-lawmakers-gun-control-groups-social-media\" target=\"_blank\" >at the time</a> of the 2024 social media posts, also made online threats to two state lawmakers and gun control groups.</p><p>He was sentenced March 2 to three years of mandatory supervised release, with one year spent in home confinement, records show.</p><p>In a March 17, 2024, post on X, Cundari wrote, “Our patience grows short with you. The day we put your kids feet first into a woodchipper so we can enjoy their last few screams is coming,” according to a complaint filed in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois. The post was directed at two state lawmakers, gun control groups, a volunteer with one of the groups, and the Illinois attorney general’s office.</p><p>Another social media post on May 15, 2024, that prosecutors say Cundari made from a different X account suggested a bomb threat at the Springfield PrideFest.</p><p>“I sure hope NOBODY leaves a pressure cooker filled with ball bearings, glass and nails, filled with diesel fuel and fertilizer, with the over pressure safety valve disabled, near a natural gas line. That would be VERY sad and VERY unfortunate,” read the post, which was made in reply to a separate post by an anti-LGBTQ organization, according to the complaint.</p><p>Springfield PrideFest was sponsored by Blue Cross Blue Shield. The insurance company’s X profile received a similar bomb threat post that month from the same account, prosecutors said.</p><p>Cundari, a Wheaton resident, met with an FBI agent the next day and admitted to making the social media posts but insisted the comments were made as a “joke,” prosecutors said.</p><p>Cundari was a DuPage County assistant state’s attorney at the time of the posts, but he was removed from the job after being charged, according to the complaint.</p>",
"title": "Ex-DuPage County prosecutor sentenced after threatening state lawmakers, gun control groups on social media",
"updatedAt": "2026-03-27T17:37:56.223Z"
}