{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreibockev55tuzwrakolhok4j5tjo23btupczbpq5gdhzoqulijmh7a",
"uri": "at://did:plc:dpedpnneemu43m5uma64haxi/app.bsky.feed.post/3mkrvije2epi2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreihtilzlegxxdhzx64w75xfvc4yx36dxob6z75mpy6uznnr2ufryme"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 109109
},
"description": "A fire that tore through one of England’s best‑known LGBTQ+ nightclubs in Milton Keynes has been confirmed as accidental, police have said, ruling out arson or any hate‑motivated attack.\n\nThames Valley Police said a joint investigation with Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service found no evidence of criminality following the blaze at Pink Punters in the early hours of Sunday, 26 April.\n\nEmergency services were called to the venue on Watling Street shortly after 2am, with large numbers of staff, c",
"path": "/pink-punters-lgbtq-nightclub-fire-was-accidental-investigators-say-as-owner-vows-it-will-return/",
"publishedAt": "2026-05-01T10:15:38.000Z",
"site": "https://www.scenemag.co.uk",
"textContent": "A fire that tore through one of England’s best‑known LGBTQ+ nightclubs in **Milton Keynes** has been confirmed as accidental, police have said, ruling out arson or any hate‑motivated attack.\n\n**Thames Valley Police** said a joint investigation with**Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service** found no evidence of criminality following the blaze at**Pink Punters** in the early hours of Sunday, 26 April.\n\nEmergency services were called to the venue on Watling Street shortly after 2am, with large numbers of staff, customers and nearby residents safely evacuated. No injuries were reported.\n\nA 51‑year‑old man from Milton Keynes was initially arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life during the early stages of the investigation, but police confirmed he has since been eliminated from their enquiries .\n\nChief Superintendent **Emma Baillie** , local policing commander for Milton Keynes, said officers understood the concern caused by the incident, but stressed that it was not a criminal act.\n\n“Following a thorough joint investigation with Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service, we have found no evidence of any criminality,” she said. “The fire is believed to have been accidental in nature, and thankfully no one was injured.”\n\nShe also praised staff at the venue for their swift response, which she said ensured everyone was able to leave the building safely.\n\nBuckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service said its specialist fire investigation team supported police in determining the cause of the blaze and confirmed that it was accidental. Deputy chief fire officer **Simon Tuffley** said incidents in busy indoor venues highlighted the importance of well‑rehearsed evacuation procedures, adding that the actions of staff and firefighters prevented further harm.\n\nThe fire caused extensive damage to the long‑running nightclub, which has served the LGBTQ+ community for more than two decades and attracts visitors from across the region.\n\nOwner**Frank McMahon** said he was “profoundly relieved” investigators had ruled out arson and confirmed the fire was not a deliberate attack or a hate crime.\n\n“The building was lost, but lives were protected, and that remains the most important fact of all,” he said, praising staff for their calm and professional response during the emergency .\n\nPink Punters has indicated it intends to return in the future, with Mr McMahon previously telling supporters that while the venue’s building had been destroyed, its community and spirit would endure.",
"title": "Pink Punters LGBTQ+ nightclub fire was accidental, investigators say, as owner vows it will return",
"updatedAt": "2026-05-01T10:15:38.568Z"
}