External Publication
Visit Post

Shia LaBeouf accused of shouting homophobic slurs before violent Mardi Gras altercation

Scene Magazine February 19, 2026
Source

Multiple witnesses have alleged actor Shia LaBeouf directed homophobic slurs at two men - including a queer man - in the hours leading up to his arrest during Mardi Gras celebrations in New Orleans.

The incident occurred at a bar in the city’s Faubourg Marigny neighbourhood on the morning of 17 February , where LaBeouf was reportedly involved in a violent confrontation with staff and patrons. Witnesses and alleged victims say the actor appeared intoxicated and became increasingly aggressive throughout the evening.

According to accounts published in The Hollywood Reporter , Jeffrey “Dammit” , a local performer and bartender, claimed LaBeouf first confronted him around 5pm, allegedly shoving him and threatening to kill him before calling him a homophobic slur. When LaBeouf later returned around midnight, Jeffrey said the verbal abuse escalated, with the actor shouting homophobic slurs at multiple people outside the bar before lunging at staff members.

Further allegations reported by Yahoo Entertainment state that both Jeffrey Damnit and Nathan Thomas Reed , who identifies as queer, accused LaBeouf of repeatedly using anti‑gay slurs during the altercation. Reed said he wanted it known that LaBeouf had been “calling people f**got,” while court documents cited in the report allege the actor also punched both men - striking Damnit in the upper body and Reed in the nose.

LaBeouf was arrested on two counts of simple battery and later released on his own recognisance. He subsequently appeared on Bourbon Street hours after leaving custody and later posted “Free me” on X.

Police have described the case as an ongoing investigation, noting that further information may be released as the matter proceeds through the courts. LaBeouf is due to appear for a hearing on 19 March in New Orleans.

Discussion in the ATmosphere

Loading comments...