{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreibo5too6qdtwrmf5xey44wg4wnvgox2q45rl64rfi64aykn76brhy",
"uri": "at://did:plc:c2mw52wnmpyhd7v7jfbjg7fc/app.bsky.feed.post/3mh7kfkz7ouk2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreigwoqtrwdlpqizrjknuu4elodyajys7lwyenepvbjflesvr3tstxa"
},
"mimeType": "image/png",
"size": 1164477
},
"path": "/2026/03/future-of-sesame-place-san-diego.html",
"publishedAt": "2026-03-16T08:00:00.000Z",
"site": "http://www.sandiegoville.com",
"tags": [
"abrupt shutdown of Sesame Place San Diego in September 2025",
"sesameplace.com/san-diego"
],
"textContent": "\n\nA newly filed federal lawsuit between Sesame Place ownership and SeaWorld’s parent company is raising fresh questions about the future of Sesame Place San Diego, the Sesame Street–themed theme park in Chula Vista that opened less than four years ago and surprised everyone with a temporary closure last year.\n\nSesame Workshop, the nonprofit organization behind the iconic Sesame Street television franchise, filed a lawsuit on March 12 in federal court accusing United Parks & Resorts, the Orlando-based parent company of SeaWorld, of breaching its long-standing licensing agreement by refusing to pay millions of dollars in royalties and mishandling the Sesame Street brand. The complaint seeks damages and asks the court to terminate a partnership that has lasted more than 45 years.\n\nFor decades, SeaWorld has served as Sesame Workshop’s exclusive theme park licensee in the United States, developing Sesame Street–themed lands at its parks and launching two standalone Sesame Place parks - the original in Langhorne, Pennsylvania, and the second in San Diego's South Bay city of Chula Vista, which opened in March 2022 at the site of the former Aquatica San Diego water park.\n\nAccording to the lawsuit, the relationship between the two organizations began to fracture in 2022 when SeaWorld allegedly failed to pay millions of dollars in royalties owed to Sesame Workshop for the Sesame Place park in Pennsylvania. Sesame Workshop forced the matter into arbitration and ultimately won an award requiring SeaWorld to pay the full amount owed. The nonprofit claims SeaWorld still delayed payment, prompting additional legal action to compel compliance.\n\nThe lawsuit alleges that after losing the arbitration dispute, United Parks & Resorts began taking actions that Sesame Workshop characterizes as retaliatory and damaging to the brand.\n\nAmong those alleged actions was the abrupt shutdown of Sesame Place San Diego in September 2025. At the time, SeaWorld announced that the park would close with just days’ notice and transition to a seasonal operating schedule, leaving some families who had already purchased tickets for fall visits scrambling to adjust their plans.\n\nSesame Workshop claims it was not informed about the closure before the public announcement and learned about the decision at the same time as guests and employees. According to the lawsuit, the sudden move damaged the relationship between the two companies and was intended to reduce the park’s operating revenue, and therefore the royalty payments owed to Sesame Workshop under the licensing agreement.\n\n\n\n\nThe complaint also alleges that SeaWorld distributed marketing materials using Sesame Street characters without required approvals and engaged in other actions that “tarnished” the reputation of the brand.\n\n“United Parks & Resorts has repeatedly failed to honor its contractual obligations,” a spokesperson for Sesame Workshop said in a statement. “SeaWorld’s actions have harmed Sesame Workshop, wrongfully withholding royalty payments that are vital to supporting our charitable mission and undermining our ability to oversee SeaWorld’s use of our beloved characters and brand.”\n\nThe organization says ending the partnership may be the only way forward after decades of collaboration.\n\n“While we did not want to end a partnership that has spanned 45 years, we have regrettably determined that the termination of our agreement is the only path forward,” the statement continued.\n\nUnited Parks & Resorts has acknowledged the lawsuit but denies wrongdoing.\n\n“We are aware of the lawsuit filed by Sesame Workshop and look forward to setting the record straight in court,” a company spokesperson said.\n\nDespite the ongoing legal dispute, Sesame Place San Diego is still scheduled to reopen for the 2026 season later this month. The park’s website currently advertises a reopening date of Friday, March 27, inviting guests to “come celebrate our 4th birthday with us.” That reopening, however, may do little to answer the larger question now hanging over the property.\n\nIf Sesame Workshop ultimately succeeds in terminating its licensing agreement with SeaWorld, the future of Sesame Street-themed attractions operated by the company, including the San Diego County-based park, could become uncertain. Sesame Place San Diego represents one of only two standalone Sesame Street parks in the United States and was originally promoted as part of SeaWorld’s strategy to pivot toward family-focused entertainment after scaling back many of its animal-based attractions.\n\nFor now, the park appears poised to reopen to the public later this month. But as the legal fight between the two longtime partners moves forward in federal court, the long-term fate of Sesame Place San Diego may ultimately depend on how that dispute is resolved.\n\nSesame Place San Diego is located at 2052 Entertainment Circle in Chula Vista. The park is currently scheduled to reopen on March 27, 2026. For more information, visit sesameplace.com/san-diego.\n\n\n**_Originally published on March 16, 2026. _**",
"title": "Future Of Sesame Place San Diego Uncertain As Parent Company Sesame Workshop Sues SeaWorld Over Unpaid Royalties And Park Closure",
"updatedAt": "2026-03-16T20:50:21.098Z"
}