{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreic2ula5btqugqzzyjd2i6bjevyeaa72o6k2hzdq5nyqcgaxkrmeh4",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:b7afdzqsmwksxypciqnplglk/app.bsky.feed.post/3mmkaltj72gm2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreihepnbm5quyqlntr4g5ye455x4w3cicm2jeuwgh7csyyb6dxdqqle"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 34409
  },
  "path": "/2026/05/23/uk-bound-flight-diverts-mid-air-passenger-left-charging-bank-luggage-28494088/",
  "publishedAt": "2026-05-23T19:43:14.000Z",
  "site": "https://metro.co.uk",
  "tags": [
    "News",
    "UK",
    "easyJet",
    "Flights",
    "Rome",
    "Italy",
    "Sky News",
    "The Sun",
    "News Updates",
    "Breaking News",
    "a Jet2 flight diverted",
    "Turkey",
    "Manchester",
    "England",
    "Belgium",
    "phone",
    "check our news page",
    "Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source"
  ],
  "textContent": "Spain, Palma, May 02, 2024 – Low angle view of starting Easyjet Airbus (Credits: Getty Images)\n\nA London-bound EasyJet was forced to divert to Rome after a passenger left their charging bank inside their suitcase.\n\nEasyJet flight EZY2618 from Hurghada in Egypt took off on Tuesday evening but diverted to Italy after the crew were informed that a power bank was charging in a passenger’s luggage.\n\nThe airline told Sky News it made the landing as a ‘precaution’.\n\nPassenger Paul Casterton, 57, told The Sun: “No one knew what to think. Suddenly the plane changed direction and made a descent. It was hard not to fear the worst.\n\n‘It was stressful until we landed. Thank goodness it wasn’t a bomb in the hold. Word spread as to the true reason we had been diverted. It was quite an ordeal, but mostly relief that everyone was OK.’\n\n##  Sign up for all of the latest stories\n\nStart your day informed with Metro's **News Updates** newsletter or get **Breaking News** alerts the moment it happens.\n\nThey said: ‘The captain then took the decision to divert as a precaution in line with safety regulations.\n\n‘The aircraft landed safely and passengers disembarked routinely and we provided hotel accommodation and meals where available.\n\n‘As some customers remained in the airport, they were provided with refreshments.\n\n‘The safety of its passengers and crew is easyJet’s highest priority and easyJet operates its fleet of aircraft in strict compliance with all manufacturers’ guidelines.\n\n‘We would like to apologise to all passengers for any inconvenience caused by the diversion and subsequent delay.’\n\nIn February a Jet2 flight diverted after a passenger made ‘racist remarks’ before getting into a fight 30,000 ft in the air.\n\nThe flight, which was travelling from Antalya, Turkey, to Manchester, England was diverted to Belgium over the ‘appalling behaviour’ of two passengers.\n\nOne passenger described it as one of the most ‘distressing experiences’ they had ever had, with some claiming they could see blood and teeth on the floor.\n\nThe argument reportedly started after one of the men tried to grab the others’ phone, which was playing music loudly.\n\n******Get in touch with our news team by emailing us atwebnews@metro.co.uk.******\n\n**For more stories like this,** check our news page.\n\nComment now Comments \nAdd Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source\n",
  "title": "EasyJet flight to London diverts mid-air after passenger left phone charging in luggage"
}