{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreibwitzwr52nuxxl6ncp5rjuoqaczlhhss46uofczs3o6c5eq33zry",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:b7afdzqsmwksxypciqnplglk/app.bsky.feed.post/3mmelchqibzt2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreifxza7on6p4c5qlrmaspunrcqf5dcvycrvzjtftrhq4jzlpgfn5he"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 61966
  },
  "path": "/2026/05/21/mystery-maldives-divers-killed-shark-cave-may-solved-28463486/",
  "publishedAt": "2026-05-21T13:00:30.000Z",
  "site": "https://metro.co.uk",
  "tags": [
    "News",
    "World",
    "Death",
    "Diving",
    "Italy",
    "Maldives",
    "Italians",
    "dive",
    "shark",
    "News Updates",
    "Breaking News",
    "York",
    "Italian",
    "check our news page",
    "Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source"
  ],
  "textContent": "In total six people have died during the dive, including ecology professor Monica Montefalcone (left) and her daughter Giorgia Sommacal (right)\n\nFinnish divers may have solved the mystery surrounding the deaths of five tourists in a ‘pitch black cave’ in the Maldives.\n\nThe experts have suggested that the group might have taken the wrong tunnel as they left the cave complex.\n\nFive Italians died during a dive into the 160 ft deep ‘shark cave’ in the Devana Kandu cave system last week.\n\nThe bodies of ecology professor Monica Montefalcone, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, researcher Muriel Oddenino, and marine biologist Federico Gualtieri have now all been retrieved.\n\nFederico Gualtieri, a marine biologist, died during the cave dive on Thursday.\n\n##  Sign up for all of the latest stories\n\nStart your day informed with Metro's **News Updates** newsletter or get **Breaking News** alerts the moment it happens.\n\nThey were accompanied by diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti, whose body was found last week.\n\nThey were on a research trip looking at soft corals but are uderstood to have gone on a private dive on Thursday morning when the group is believed to have died around 160 ft deep.\n\nThey had launched the expedition from the Duke of York yacht, which did not have a permit allowing dives of more than 100ft.\n\nIn total, six people have been killed as part of the cave dive, with Maldivian military rescue diver Mohamed Mahudhee dying from decompression illness on Saturday during a recovery mission.\n\nThe deaths have been called the worst diving incident in the history of the island nation and sparked a frenzy of questions about how events unfolded.\n\nA team of Finnish experts has now suggested that the Italian researchers may have taken the wrong tunnel on their way out of the cave.\n\nThe pro-divers, working for Dan Europe, discovered the Italians in a corridor with a dead end inside the underwater complex, Italy’s La Repubblica daily reported.\n\nMonica Montefalcone one of the five Italian scuba divers who died (Picture: Greenpeace via AP)\n\nGianluca Benedetti’s body was the first to be recovered last week\n\n## ‘There was no way out from there’\n\n‘There was no way out from there,’ the company’s CEO, Laura Marroni, was quoted by La Repubblica as saying.\n\nMarroni revealed the details of the cave complex and how the doomed dive might have played out.\n\nShe told the newspaper that the cave system begins with a first large, very bright cavern with a sandy bottom.\n\nAt the end of that room is a badly lit corridor, but with good visibility from artificial lighting.\n\nThe passageway is almost 30 metres long and three metres across, which leads to a second chamber of the cave.\n\nThat second chamber is a large, round space with no natural light.\n\nHowever, between the corridor and the second chamber is a sandbank.\n\nWhile it is easy to get over the sandbank into the second chamber on the way in, when you turn around to leave, the bank almost looks like a wall.\n\nThat ‘wall’ then hides the corridor behind it, the paper said.\n\nOn the left of the sandbank is another corridor – only a few dozen metres long.\n\n‘The divers’ bodies were all found inside, as if they had mistaken it for the right one,’ La Repubblica reported.\n\nResearcher Muriel Oddenino had been on an official scientific mission with Ms Montefalcone prior to the dive (Picture: Facebook)\n\nIf they had taken that corridor by mistake, ‘then it would have been very difficult to return, especially with the limited air supply’, Marroni said.\n\nThe expert estimated that the Italians had about 10 minutes or less of air left.\n\nShe added: ”Realising that the path is the wrong one and having little air, perhaps after going back and forth, is terrifying. Then you breathe quickly, and the air supply decreases.’\n\nMonica’s husband and Giorgia’s dad, Carlo Sommacal, told Italian media his wife ‘was one of the best divers in the world’ and would never put his daughter at risk.\n\nHe said she had carried out about 5,000 dives and was ‘never reckless’.\n\nThe Italian tour operator that managed the diving trip has denied authorising or knowing about the group’s deep dive, which exceeded local limits, its lawyer told Italian local publication Corriere della Sera.\n\nAn investigation is underway to establish the cause of death.\n\nAnother theory being considered is that the divers were sucked into a cave by a strong ‘freak’ current, known as the ‘Venturi effect’.\n\n******Get in touch with our news team by emailing us atwebnews@metro.co.uk.******\n\n**For more stories like this,** check our news page.\n\nComment now Comments \nAdd Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source\n",
  "title": "Mystery of Maldives divers killed in ‘Shark Cave’ may have been solved"
}