{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreibha3chamv2ixka5ajagjrtghk7vu4yfosaygavvcx7ldycqcoi7u",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:b7afdzqsmwksxypciqnplglk/app.bsky.feed.post/3mmcvldgljka2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreifxza7on6p4c5qlrmaspunrcqf5dcvycrvzjtftrhq4jzlpgfn5he"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 61966
  },
  "path": "/2026/05/20/bodycams-found-cave-divers-reveal-mystery-28454857/",
  "publishedAt": "2026-05-20T20:04:56.000Z",
  "site": "https://metro.co.uk",
  "tags": [
    "News",
    "World",
    "Death",
    "Italy",
    "Maldives",
    "dive",
    "shark",
    "News Updates",
    "Breaking News",
    "York",
    "Italian",
    "check our news page",
    "Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source"
  ],
  "textContent": "Monica Montefalcone one of the five Italian scuba divers who died (Picture: Greenpeace via AP)\n\nBodycams have been found with the divers killed in a Maldives cave which could finally reveal what happened in their final moments.\n\nFive Italians on a research trip were killed during a dive into the 160 ft deep ‘shark cave’ in the Devana Kandu cave system last week.\n\nThe bodies of ecology professor Monica Montefalcone, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, researcher Muriel Oddenino, and marine biologist Federico Gualtieri have now all been retrieved.\n\nThey were accompanied by diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti, whose body was found last week.\n\nIn total six people have been killed as part of the cave dive, with Maldivian military rescue diver Mohamed Mahudhee dying from decompression illness on Saturday during a recovery mission.\n\n##  Sign up for all of the latest stories\n\nStart your day informed with Metro's **News Updates** newsletter or get **Breaking News** alerts the moment it happens.\n\nIn total six people have died during the dive, including ecology professor Monica Montefalcone (left) and her daughter Giorgia Sommacal (right)\n\nFederico Gualtieri, a marine biologist, died during the cave dive on Thursday.\n\nThree expert divers who recovered four of the bodies handed over GoPro cameras which were found with the group.\n\nThe footage has not yet been made public.\n\nBut it is hoped they could piece together the group’s final moments as investigators scramble to figure out what happened to the group who went deep below the recommended depth.\n\nThey were on a research trip about soft corals on Thursday morning when the group is believed to have died around 160 ft deep.\n\nThey had launched the expedition from the Duke of York yacht, which did not have a permit allowing dives of more than 100 ft.\n\nResearcher Muriel Oddenino had been on an official scientific mission with Ms Montefalcone prior to the dive (Picture: Facebook)\n\nGianluca Benedetti’s body was the first to be recovered last week\n\nMonica’s husband and dad of Giorgia Carlo Sommacal told Italian media his wife ‘was one of the best divers in the world’ and would never put his daughter at risk.\n\nHe said she had carried out about 5,000 dives and was ‘never reckless’.\n\nThe Italian tour operator that managed the diving trip has denied authorising or knowing about the group’s deep dive, which exceeded local limits, its lawyer told Italian local publication Corriere della Sera.\n\nAn investigation is underway to establish the cause of death.\n\n******Get in touch with our news team by emailing us atwebnews@metro.co.uk.******\n\n**For more stories like this,** check our news page.\n\nComment now Comments \nAdd Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source\n",
  "title": "Bodycams found on divers killed in Maldives could reveal final moments"
}