{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreibz5moxzuvu2i6o67d6jiqsvbxos3g32x5vptrmd5n5avtjczrb6e",
"uri": "at://did:plc:b7afdzqsmwksxypciqnplglk/app.bsky.feed.post/3mlxyhmtvjs32"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreifkk5zyizwqws7y76uqwdaydaqwjcxkpw3j6dbseli2hdc662kvgy"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 117891
},
"path": "/2026/05/16/diver-dies-search-tourists-drowned-exploring-underwater-caves-maldives-28394830/",
"publishedAt": "2026-05-16T12:57:56.000Z",
"site": "https://metro.co.uk",
"tags": [
"News",
"World",
"Italy",
"Maldives",
"tourists killed in a fatal trip exploring underwater caves",
"Italian",
"marine biology",
"News Updates",
"Breaking News",
"climate change",
"York",
"tourism",
"check our news page",
"Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source"
],
"textContent": "Mohammed Mahdi, a sergeant major in the Maldivian military, was said to have fallen ill on the third day of the recovery mission (Pictures: AP)\n\n**A diver on the search team trying to recover the bodies of four tourists killed in a fatal trip exploring underwater caves in the Maldives has also died.**\n\nMohammed Mahdi, a sergeant major in the Maldivian military, was said to have fallen ill on the third day of the recovery mission in the Vaavu Atoll on Saturday.\n\nLocal reports attribute the tragic death to decompression sickness.\n\nPaying tribute to the serviceman on X, the Maldivian military said: ‘His courage, sacrifice, and service to the nation will always be remembered. Our deepest condolences to his family and colleagues.’\n\nThe group of Italian scuba divers had been exploring underwater caves and failed to resurface on Thursday.\n\nFour of the divers were part of a team from the University of Genoa, including respected marine biologist Monica Montefalcone, 51, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, 20, research fellow Muriel Oddenino, marine biology graduate Federico Gualtieri, and boat operations manager and diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti.\n\n## Sign up for all of the latest stories\n\nStart your day informed with Metro's **News Updates** newsletter or get **Breaking News** alerts the moment it happens.\n\nIn a statement posted on its website, the university said: ‘The sympathy of the entire university community goes out to the families, colleagues and students who shared their human and professional journey.’\n\nFour of the divers were part of a team from the University of Genoa, including respected marine biologist Monica Montefalcone\n\nHer daughter Giorgia Sommacal also died in the tragedy\n\nA recovery mission led by specialist divers has been ongoing to try and recover the missing bodies, which were believed to be stuck in one of the caves.\n\nMs Montefalcone and Ms Oddenino were in the Maldives on an official scientific mission to monitor marine environments and study the effects of climate change on tropical biodiversity, the University of Genoa said.\n\nBut the university added that the scuba diving activity during which the deadly accident occurred was not part of the planned research and was ‘undertaken privately’.\n\nMs Montefalcone’s husband, Carlo Sommacal, told Italian newspaper La Repubblica he hoped her GoPro might be able to help investigators understand how the tragedy happened.\n\nHe said his wife was an ‘expert’ diver who had undertaken 5,000 trips and ‘knows what to do even in times of difficulty’.\n\nThe same was true for Mr Benedetti, who he called ‘meticulous’ in his safety planning.\n\nHe said his wife ‘usually had a GoPro when she went diving’, adding: ‘I don’t know if she had one the other day. If they find it, maybe from there we can understand what happened.’\n\nDivers preparing to search for the four missing Italian divers near Alimathaa Island, Vaavu Atoll, Maldives (Picture: Maldives President’s Media Div)\n\nItalian officials said around 20 other Italians who were on the same expedition aboard a vessel named the ‘Duke of York’ were safe.\n\nItaly’s embassy in Colombo was providing assistance to those onboard and had contacted the Red Crescent, which offered to deploy volunteers to help provide psychological aid.\n\nThe Maldives tourism ministry said it has suspended the operating license of the ‘Duke of York’ pending an investigation.\n\nThe Italian foreign ministry said the cave is divided into three large chambers connected by narrow passages.\n\nRecovery teams explored two of the three chambers on Friday, but the search was limited due to considerations over oxygen and decompression.\n\nOn Saturday, they will explore the third chamber, the ministry added.\n\nItalian officials and the honorary consul are in contact with the victims’ families to provide assistance.\n\n******Get in touch with our news team by emailing us atwebnews@metro.co.uk.******\n\n**For more stories like this,** check our news page.\n\nComment now Comments \nAdd Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source\n",
"title": "Diver dies during search for tourists who drowned exploring underwater caves in the Maldives"
}