{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreiezuzxbswlrlio3vpw25x4z4qwqqmqj4ygnw7mye53ahwscctbs3u",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:b7afdzqsmwksxypciqnplglk/app.bsky.feed.post/3mllzdc6iuvz2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreibnnttrpjjmlkeulwfqgz6vra4odslqqw4g37utkn4tbu5mrsj6hu"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 35265
  },
  "path": "/2026/05/11/kidnapper-released-prison-accident-boozy-pub-lunch-fleeing-uk-28327398/",
  "publishedAt": "2026-05-11T17:56:58.000Z",
  "site": "https://metro.co.uk",
  "tags": [
    "News",
    "UK",
    "Crime News",
    "Nigeria",
    "Prisons",
    "Spain",
    "News Updates",
    "Breaking News",
    "Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source"
  ],
  "textContent": "Ifedayo Adeyeye who abducted his son, Laurys N’Djosse Adeyeye, from France and took him to Nigeria, who was mistakenly released from HMP Pentonville last month. (Picture: High Court/PA Wire)\n\nA dad accidentally released from prison early ‘strolled around London’ for three days before jailers reported him missing to police.\n\nIfedayo Adeyeye, serving time for kidnapping his five-year-old son, may have fled the UK after prison staff accidentally released him.\n\nThe 58-year-old walked free from HMP Pentonville in north London on April 21 despite being jailed for another 12 months just the day before.\n\nThe High Court heard he then ‘strolled about’ London, enjoyed a pub dinner with ‘quite a lot of drink’, and transferred thousands of pounds from his bank account before officers were finally alerted.\n\nBy then, police believe the dual British-Nigerian national may already have travelled to Spain.\n\n##  Sign up for all of the latest stories\n\nStart your day informed with Metro's **News Updates** newsletter or get **Breaking News** alerts the moment it happens.\n\nMr Justice Hayden blasted the delay, saying: ‘If the police had been contacted immediately, this could perhaps, almost certainly perhaps, have been prevented.\n\n‘The public is entitled to expect far better than this.’\n\nCatch him if you can: Ifedayo Adeyeye may have fled UK (Picture: High Court/PA Wire)\n\nAdeyeye had previously been found to have abducted his son, Laurys N’Djosse Adeyeye, from France in July 2024 after the boy stayed overnight with him for the first time.\n\nThe court heard Laurys had lived with his mother, Claire N’Djosse, in France since birth before being taken via the UK to Nigeria.\n\nMs N’Djosse has not seen her son since.\n\nIn a legal first last year, Mr Justice Hayden ruled the High Court could order Adeyeye to return Laurys to France even though the child did not live in the UK.\n\nWhen he ignored the order, Adeyeye was jailed for contempt of court in January.\n\nAdeyeye was initially jailed for six months for contempt of court in January for failing to return Laurys\n(Picture: High Court/PA Wire)\n\nHe was due to be released in April, but on April 20 was handed another 12-month sentence for failing to return his son.\n\nDespite that, prison staff released him the very next day after not being notified of the new sentance.\n\nThe judge described the child abduction as ‘an act of cruelty that even this court rarely sees’ and branded Adeyeye ‘arrogant and manipulative’ as well as ‘cold and calculated’.\n\nPolice told the court they were pursuing ‘all reasonable lines of enquiry’ after reports Adeyeye entered Spain on April 22.\n\nThe Metropolitan Police said: ‘We recognise both the seriousness of this matter and how traumatic the present situation must be for both Ms N’Djosse and her son.’\n\nThe force said prison officials blamed a ‘communication failure’ with the court for the blunder — a claim the judge dismissed as ‘entirely groundless’.\n\nChris Bryden, representing Ms N’Djosse, said the state had failed the mother twice, by releasing Adeyeye and again by not immediately informing police.\n\nThe case comes after Ministry of Justice figures revealed 179 inmates were wrongly released between April 2025 and March 2026.\n\nData published by the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) last month showed that 179 inmates were wrongly released between April 2025 and March 2026.\n\nThe issue was thrown into sharp focus after the mistaken release of Hadush Kebatu, who was jailed for sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl in Epping, Essex, which prompted a series of protests last year.\n\nThe issue previously sparked outrage following the mistaken release of convicted sex offender Hadush Kebatu, who was jailed for sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl in Essex\n\nThe MoJ has previously said that it was investing up to £82 million to drive down accidental releases, adding: ‘We inherited a prison system in crisis after years of underinvestment, which has resulted in unacceptable rises in release in errors.’\n\nComment now Comments \nAdd Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source\n",
  "title": "Kidnapper released from prison by accident had boozy pub lunch before fleeing UK"
}