{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreieux6khw3dutvqanvceemigqmnivynoi2nmrqsbn5okog37jsva2y",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:b7afdzqsmwksxypciqnplglk/app.bsky.feed.post/3mkvjt67elgn2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreic772oan6rdafrhasztmdio4vdgp2kv7ecpuqouhp36r2dxmqyd3e"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 49012
  },
  "path": "/2026/05/02/nato-disintergrating-donald-trump-pulls-5-000-troops-europe-28210158/",
  "publishedAt": "2026-05-02T19:14:55.000Z",
  "site": "https://metro.co.uk",
  "tags": [
    "News",
    "World",
    "Donald Trump",
    "NATO",
    "Germany",
    "Iran",
    "US",
    "Pakistan",
    "Poland",
    "News Updates",
    "Breaking News",
    "supports HTML5\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tvideo",
    "social media",
    "Keir Starmer",
    "check our news page",
    "Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source"
  ],
  "textContent": "President Donald Trump has pulled 5,000 troops from Germany (Picture: AP)\n\nNato is at risk of ‘disintegrating’ after Donald Trump pulls 5,000 troops out of Germany following arguments over the Iran war.\n\nThe US President has repeatedly lashed out at German chancellor Friedrich Merz over claims the US had been ‘humiliated’.\n\nMerz said Iranian leaders were ‘negotiating very skilfully, denouncing the lack of a US exit strategy’ and had humiliated the US when it got officials to travel to Pakistan for talks with no real result at the end.\n\nIn a rant on Truth Social, Trump then accused Merz of tolerating a nuclear-armed Iran, telling him he needed to ‘fix his broken country’.\n\nFollowing this Germany’s defence minister Boris Pistorius has said Europeans must take greater responsibility for their own security.\n\nPoland’s prime minister Donald Tusk warned Nato is ‘disintegrating’.\n\n##  Sign up for all of the latest stories\n\nStart your day informed with Metro's **News Updates** newsletter or get **Breaking News** alerts the moment it happens.\n\nTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tvideo\n\nUp Next\n\nPrevious Page\n\nNext Page\n\nHe wrote on social media: ‘The greatest threat to the transatlantic community are not its external enemies, but the ongoing disintegration of our alliance.\n\n‘We must all do what it takes to reverse this disastrous trend.’\n\nA NATO spokesperson said the alliance was working with the US to understand the details of the decision.\n\nMerz is among many European heads who have been on the receiving end of Trump’s rants.\n\nEven UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer was told he was no ‘Winston Churchill’ after he would not let the US use British bases for Iranian attacks at first.\n\nGerman Chancellor Friedrich Merz, France’s President Emmanuel Macron and Keir Starmer, Prime Minister of the United Kingdo (Picture: AFP)\n\nStarmer also said he did not support a Nato operation in the Strait of Hormuz.\n\nTrump has said for years about reducing the American military presence in Germany, and has railed against Nato for its refusal to assist Washington in the war, which began on February 28 with US-Israeli strikes on Iran.\n\nMr Trump wrote Wednesday on social media that the US was reviewing possible troop reductions in Germany, with a “determination” to be made soon.\n\n******Get in touch with our news team by emailing us atwebnews@metro.co.uk.******\n\n**For more stories like this,** check our news page.\n\nComment now Comments \nAdd Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source\n",
  "title": "Nato ‘disintergrating’ after Donald Trump pulls 5,000 troops out of Europe"
}